Spark Energy Nightmare

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3963 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have been living in a rented house for a year and 8 months, and was living with my ex here for a year and 3 months of this.

When we moved in, we were told we had to go with Spark Energy for our electricity and gas (I assume they have a deal together). The agents had submitted meter readings, and we also supplied them several times from day one.

We didn't receive a bill for quite some time, so called them to find out what was happening. Every time we called to check on our account, we were told that because we had overpaid our previous utility supplier, our account was in credit. We said we didn't want to be stung by a huge bill in the future because they have made a mistake, and again they tell us everything is in order.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I receive a bill for £170. Figuring the credit was gone now, I paid it immediately. The very next day I get a letter from a DCA demanding payment, and another letter a couple of days later saying that they had been to my door to collect the money but I wasn't in.

I sent them an email and they confirmed it was a mistake, but after looking into my account, I now owe them £850 because all of the staff that talked to us before were wrong. Apparently their initial start read was wrong, so it left us in credit when it should have started at 0.

I am now being pestered daily and they tell me I have 2 more days to pay before they pass the debt on to another DCA.

I found over 70 reviews of them on review centre and every single person had this happen to them!

I suppose I'm writing this more as a warning to people to stay away from them, as I'm sure they have me in a choke hold with this and I have to pay them. Not a good time really when I am absolutely penniless and Christmas is just around the corner! :!:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lucky

You would not be liable for the full balance on the account due to the Energy Retail Association Billing Code. Where an energy supplier is at fault, they can not back-date charges more than 12 months, therefore 8 month's worth of this balance, minus the payment you have made, must be written off.

Contact Spark energy, and state that they have a duty to investigate meter readings being received if they are out of line with their estimates. You have done everything you could have possibly done to avoid incorrect billing by telling them the meter reads and even tipping them off that there must be some kind of mistake. You clearly dispute the debt balance and whilst the debt is disputed it cannot be passed to a DCA under OFT guidance on debt collection practices.

Once the billing is correct, they must also offer you a repayment arrangement to cover the outstanding balance and your ongoing usage. Do not make any further payments until the balance has been corrected as this will be deducted from any amount written-off.

If you need more help with complaining, do not hesitate to contact me again!

Oh, and btw Ofgem do not deal directly with consumer complaints

Guest Old_andrew2018

hi Nottslad I do not have a link for ofgem can you post one

Cheers

andy

Edited by old_andrew2007