LBL help, debt sold on recliming charges etc? help

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3624 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi thre,

we have had dealings with LBL and it is still ongoing, my OH borrowed £500 (i know i know) and signed the agreement (incedentaly this was outside a shop with 1 man, isn't there supposd to be 2?)

anyway, we fell behind with payments and they have taken the car, about 4 mths ago now, have not bothered to contact them as we hadn't heard from them, we put it down to stupidity and got another banger.

anyway a month or so later we received a letter stating that the car had been sold at auction for £917 and we still owe £1900 we have been charged nearly all of this on charges, it has now been sold to a company called OPAS who we still have not paid, my hubby is refusing as he is saying let them take me to court, over 2k for a £500 loan is ridiculous, the did not adv the APR at the time - has anyone had any luck with reclaiming these charges?

Hi thre,

we have had dealings with LBL and it is still ongoing, my OH borrowed £500 (i know i know) and signed the agreement (incedentaly this was outside a shop with 1 man, isn't there supposd to be 2?)

anyway, we fell behind with payments and they have taken the car, about 4 mths ago now, have not bothered to contact them as we hadn't heard from them, we put it down to stupidity and got another banger.

anyway a month or so later we received a letter stating that the car had been sold at auction for £917 and we still owe £1900 we have been charged nearly all of this on charges, it has now been sold to a company called OPAS who we still have not paid, my hubby is refusing as he is saying let them take me to court, over 2k for a £500 loan is ridiculous, the did not adv the APR at the time - has anyone had any luck with reclaiming these charges?

Hi Ya

If they have taken the car - it is always worth checking your Bill of Sale closely, if you haven't got a copy of it - get one from the High Court of Justice (details of which you will find within the forum) Follow the process to acquire a copy (again, this information is on the forum)

Check you Bill of Sale for any discrepancies (a list of likely discrepancies, again, is on the forum)

Let me add also - that on viewing the Law of England recently, I noticed that it made reference to the Bill of Sale Act 1882 with regard to the form of a Bill of Sale - this is found at Section 9 of the said act - the Laws of England quoted that....

"Section 9 avoids a Bill of Sale in toto, so that the grantee cannot even sue on the covenent for payment - He can only recover the money actually advanced with interest of 5% on an implied agreement (Davies v Rees, 1886, 17 QBD 408)"

I'm of the opinion that what this means is that where you can show that the Bill of Sale that you signed does not conform to Section 9 of the Bill of Sale Act 1882....... (there is a copy of what it should look like in the schedule to the Act)(bear in mind that the lender can add extra sections - so long as they do not impose on your consumer right of action) ..... then, should the lender take you to court - you can quote the Laws of England in a defence against them looking to take more money from you than they are entitled to - I have not tried to be specific in this post - just keeping it general so that it provides guidance to assist you get on the right track- Hope that makes sense?

Having said that - to put things in a better perspective - if you loaned £500 and they sold the car for £917; they have acheived £392 more than they are due if you can find the BoS to be unenforceable.

Hope this helps?

Apple : )

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]