Exit inventory checkout: does the tenant have to be present?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4026 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a tenant in the process of moving out of a rented house. The estate agent have proposed to have an appointment in their office to hand over the keys, bills etc. After that, it seems they will carry the exit inventory check themselves at a later date, without me being present. And that seems to be their standard way of doing things. I thought it would be fair (and maybe by law?) that landlord/his estate agent and tenant would be present together to go through the inventory, to then have a fair overview of things. At least that is what happened in my previous rented accomodations. Aren't estate agents forced by law to set up the exit inventory checkout with the tenant being present?

No they arent.

In fact, it is standard practice NOT to.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

This is how I used to do it. On receipt of termination of tenancy I would arrange an inspection quickly, with the tenant present, in order to discuss what needed to be done to avoid high bills afterwards. This would be agreed and signed then and there. On vacation if they haven;t done as asked they can pay for it, if they have, good job all round.

All tenants, before you move your personal effects into a property, take a good look around it on your own and in your own time. Make notes and take photo's (digital camera which dates pictures ). Make yourself a little file to keep everything in. Always note when you have asked for repairs, if possible taking pictures. Never alter or decorate anything until you have permission in writing. On exit, do just the same, empty out property, then go round on your own with a fine toothcomb taking pictures for your file once again.

That way, if you have the need to argue a point or two, you have plenty of evidence.

The point, though, is that the exit inventory should be gone through with agency and tenant together, especially when the inventory is 30 pages, with add ons made by me when I moved in, since the inventory, despite the 30 pages, did not cover everything.

Who is 100% sure that the agent will go through every detail, especially my add ons, if I am not there when they check. It would be also an easy way of avoiding disputes later on, and unnecessary delays, if I was there as well. Also because some little things need a background knowledge of events, which the clerk or the agency might not know...

The point, though, is that the exit inventory should be gone through with agency and tenant together, especially when the inventory is 30 pages, with add ons made by me when I moved in, since the inventory, despite the 30 pages, did not cover everything.

Who is 100% sure that the agent will go through every detail, especially my add ons, if I am not there when they check. It would be also an easy way of avoiding disputes later on, and unnecessary delays, if I was there as well. Also because some little things need a background knowledge of events, which the clerk or the agency might not know...

OK lets clarify from two perspectives.

1) Legally, there is ZERO obligation for this. Right or wrong doesnt come into it.

2) It is common practice for a reason. The reason is that ultimately a lot of the time comparison of initial condition to final condition is subjective. As such, should the landlord find there to be any dilapidations, it is likely that the entire process will descend into a farce, with tenant disagreeing with them. As such, most agents/landlords will perform the check out subsequent to the departure of the tenant and then any disputes can be discussed in a proper fashion.

3) It also has another issue. There is no point in a full check out prior to termination of the tenancy, but the tenant has no right to be in the property following termination of the tenancy.

For the record, I also perform JaWs form of check out as this is a happy medium.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I would want to be there when they did the check in order to avoid unnecessary charges being added. A long tiem ago I learnt never to trust estate agenst as most of them seem to lie through their back teeth in order to rip you off!