Laptops 4 Learning / Burnett's Insurance

ShaneG2009

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3939 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Has anyone had any issues with either Laptops 4 Learning or Burnetts Insurance?

Reason i ask is about 3/4 years ago i obtained a PC from L4L under their student IT plan which essentially enabled me to lease the equipment for a monthly fee. The fee was actually a lot cheaper than normal consumer finance options hence the reason i went down this route. The equipment was all brand new retail spec goods.

Now after around a year or so of paying direct debits to L4L, they went into Administration / Receivership and a company called Burnett's Insurance contacted me to take over the re-payments...at the time i did not think anything of it but now looking over these forums i am scratching my head. Im thinking i should have investigated more about paying a new party when the person i had entered into agreement with had 'gone under'.

I have asked Burnett's for details of my account with them as i believe i am nearing the end of the initial payment plan but after emailing over a week ago i have had no response.

With all of the insurance based [problem] companies i read about on here i really hope i have not been paying an insurance company nearly 40 a month for the last 3 years for absolutely no reason! Would there be anything i could do if i had?

Thanks

Shane

Hi

In 2007 i purchased a HP PC system under a laptops for learning scheme. This scheme basically allowed students to get hold of IT equipment at a reduced rate.

Anyhow shortly after i entered into an agreement with a Northern Ireland based company 'Club IT' i believe they went into administration and i was contacted by Burnett's Insurance. They said they would be collecting the payments from here on in. At the time i was busy at work and with studies so thought nothing of it.

Anyhow up to this point i have paid about £1300 to Burnett's Insurance so i recently contacted them regarding the status of my account. They have since confirmed that i am not paying for PC insurance but they are collecting payments on behalf of Club IT. I find this extremely strange.

On the complete off chance can anyone advise me what process should of taken place when this happened...shouldn't i have been informed by Club IT of this change and can third parties even collect payments like this?

Any help would be really appreciated?

Shane

It all depends on your agreement, but I would assume Club IT has in place adequate safeguards to ensure that they could transfer any benefits of the contract to a third party of their choosing and assign all your liabilities to the new entity. Certainly, you should have been advised of the change, however since you would have still been paying for the equipment, as long as the amount due did not change, this mat not be an issue. They probably took over the company, in which case, is a common occurrence, and the consumer is the last to know.