• Tweets

• Thank you for your reply.   I wouldn’t want to make an allegation of theft because it wouldn’t seem right as I did give him the phone to use for a few months, although I’m not sure if it being eventually sold makes it theft. I don’t know why my brother sold the phone, but I’m assuming he must have had financial difficulties at the time to have done this as it is completely out of character for him.    Sadly the family situation means there wouldn’t be any complications in that respect. I would usually take this on the chin and move on but unfortunately it’s one of many difficulties at the moment that by being resolved would help alleviate some other problems. It is myself who will be dealing with my brothers estate but unfortunately there isn’t one which is putting huge financial pressure on myself.    I very much appreciate everyone’s input in things. It’s easy, from my point of view, to look at things and only see it one way and not think of the other. Of course it would be nice to have the phone back and help alleviate some of the many problems at the moment but I understand this may not be the case. 
    • The EU is turning into an aggressive bully. It is incapable of reforming itself. Remaining in the EU is the high-risk strategy – not leaving it.   The EU is a fundamentally protectionist trading bloc The EU seriously misallocates resources The EU is a political project that is fundamentally anti-democratic The ‘purposive’ nature of EU law The folly of introducing the euro The demographic ageing of the EU population The EU has inadvertently encouraged regional separatist movements to develop in a number of member states Increasing Euroscepticism in the EU The EU have been blamed for the tension between Russia and the Ukraine   There is massive corruption in the EU well illustrated by the fact that the EU’s accounts have not been approved for the last 20 years by the EU’s chief auditor in respect of around €100bn of expenditures.   The EU’s negotiating behaviour over the Withdrawal Agreement revealed itself to be little better than an aggressive bully when it did not get its way.   Stopping the UK from participating in Galileo, Europe’s Global Satellite Navigation System, despite our significant existing investment.  Threatening to stop our aircraft from taking off and blocking Eurostar trains from entering the Channel tunnel. 
    • Thank you for your reply. As a business owner myself I can appreciate CEX point of view in matters.   We never had a loan agreement. Although my brother did offer to pay the monthly price of the phone. Which he paid by bank transfer to me every month he had the phone.    In the current situation they are and will remain in financial loss on this occasion, which they have openly said to me. They are sticking with there point that they are happy to hand over to the police if requested which they know will not happen. They are also aware that the phone will remain locked, and effectively unsaleable, until returned to myself. I understand though that the phone is there collateral in all of this and offering to sell the phone to me for £393 is there way to do some damage control.    Whilst the offer may be reasonable it unfortunately makes no sense to me financially. I would be more out of pocket if I done this. It would be nice to have the phone returned but the worst case would be for me to leave the locked phone with CEX and purchase a cheap mobile to use until the contracts runs out. I have the SIM card for the line. 
    • Apologies.   I recieved the email 'An important update about your mobile tariff' with the no termination fee details mentioned on 24 06 2021   I called to terminate/get a PAC code on 14 07 2021   Today I noticed that there is a payment for the full amount about to be taken out of my bank account, and today an agent on instant chat told me that when I requested my PAC over the phone on 14th the agent did not note that I had said that the change would affect me, this last requirement seems pretty flimsy and wasn't mentioned in the email.   I wanted to find out if I could safely block this at my bank before payment is taken as I have no confidence in O2    
    • I'm afraid that I take a slightly different view. Although this will add to your grief and distress, if you make an allegation of theft to the police and eventually persuade them to carry out an investigation and give you a crime reference number then you should have some joy if it is actually considered to be a stolen item. Of course there are a number of difficulties here. First of all you will make things far more complicated for everybody else who is grieving because I imagine that you are not the only one and so therefore you may incur some wrath and resentment from others who decide that you are simply attacking a man when he's not around to defend himself. It will damage your brother's reputation. And finally – and maybe the most difficult – is putting sufficient pressure on the police to consider that it is a legitimate crime report and to give you the crime reference number that you need. If you can get it to be treated as a stolen item by the police then the ownership of the phone remains with you and you should then eventually be able to recover it – but don't imagine it will be easy. CEX could then try to sue your brother's estate if there is any money there and of course if CEX can be bothered – which they probably can't. Alternatively, you could put in a claim against your brother's estate – once again if there is any money there. If you want to go the police route then of course it will be helpful if your brother has got any form for this kind of thing – but I can still imagine that the police don't really want to get involved and will keep on trying to say that it is a "civil matter" which is a standard way of saying you are nobody important and therefore we don't want to get involved. Or if it is you who has been accused of crime – then you are too important and it's going to cause a load of hassle if we investigate you.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Recommended Topics

Stella's Auntie v Sharkley

havinastella

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3940 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi HAS and good luck with this one.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)