Excesive interest on a late payment?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3939 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I apologise in advance as this is quite a long story which I will attempt to keep short. My son and his girlfriend took out a 6 month tenancy on a flat in London through an agent. Unfortunately they split up shortly afterwards and gave notice on the flat asking for an early release. The agency agreed that if new tenants presented themselves they could be released early. On the 21st August they were told by the agent that new tenants had been found and a deposit had been paid. They were checking references. They then emailed my son to tell him to vacate the flat on the 26th August and to leave the keys on the kitchen table. My son moved out. He was subsequently refused entry back into the flat to recover a wireless router they had left behind. There was one month left on the contract at this time. 2 months later he receives a demand from the landlord for £4,000. Apparently the new tenants had not moved in due to an issue with their references. The landlord was claiming the last month's rent plus interest for late payment. My son receives at regular intervals emails from the landlord demanding more money - it is now at £5,500. My son offered to pay the month's rent plus £200 which is all he can afford being currently unemployed. The landlord refused but is still adding interest to the amount outstanding. He is very confident and very aggressive towards my son who is not in the best of health and is now getting himself into a state over all this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What is the monthly rent (and therefore what is the interest he has added)?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

The monthly rent is £850 so he has added over £3,000 in interest. My son's contract says late payments attract 3% interest for each day it is late so I am not sure how he has worked out that he owes over £4,500 in interest. Also how can he add on interest if he has refused to accept payment of the last month's rent. He has not sent any statement of how this has worked up - it is more of a case of 'you have 2 weeks to pay or else'. He has admitted the agency was at fault and not my son and told my son that he should pay him the £5,500 and then sue the agency.

Absolutely brilliant.

I would write to the landlord offering £850 in full and final settlement.

He wont accept it but thats already VERY generous (is way in excess of the 8% annual stat interest owed).

State that you see no further discussion, and to proceed to court if he feels that he is owed more.

A court will absolutely hammer him - this is effectively extortion.

Was there an explicit agreement with the agent that no further rent was due after the 26th August?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Thanks for your response - I couldn't see how he could claim all this interest. There was no written agreement with the agent that no more rent was due but as they had told my son to move out because new tenants were moving in then he didn't see the need.

I think we will take your advice and send him a cheque for the last month's rent and see what happens.