Barclaycard / Lowell Debt Letter

TSxxx

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3935 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've received a letter from Lowell/Barclaycard this morning saying I owe them almost £900

I did have contact with barclaycard in 2005 when I took out a card. I didn't use it much, and in 2007 I gave it to my girlfriend (at the time) to use in emergencies as she was made redundant. I split up with her and moved out in September 2008 - at that point, the last payment had been made in June 2008 and I had cleared the balance.

For some reason, the card didn't show up on my credit report. I sent them a letter shortly before moving out asking them to close the account (although it was 2 years ago and I no longer have a copy of the letter or proof of postage). I didn't pass on the address when I moved. I should have got the card back, but didn't bother thinking the account was closed.

I've recently been trying to improve my credit report since it's fairly sparse (just a current account) - I've been approved for a store card, a contract phone and thought I'd try to get a credit card as well. I applied through Barclaycard on thursday. They rejected me and I thought that was that.

The letter I received this morning says the debt is now owned by Lowell, and they transferred it about 3 months ago. It's dated the 13th, so they've obviously matched the details from my application. The only way the balance could have been built up is if the card was used after I moved out. On that basis, it can only be my ex-girlfriend who's run up the debt, either intentionally, or intending to pay me back. Either way, I haven't got her contact details any more, and since I stupidly took the card out, it's me who is legally responsible.

What's the best course of action from here? I can't afford to pay it back in one go. I've not rung or contacted them yet. Thanks in advance!

I would suggest that your first course of action would be :

a) Cancel the Card

b) Send a SAR to Barclays and this will give you some further insight into what has been happening:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...est-debt-a-dca

c) Send a 'prove it' letter to Lowells :

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ng-of-the-debt

Every journey begins with a single step :):)

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.

If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You

The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA

Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.