Housing benefit interest rate cut

duxbury

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3749 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I am new to this forum and would appreciate any help at all on the following problem. we are on an interest only mortgage and i am on high rate disability. My husband claims carers allowance for me, and we have income support. We received a letter out of the blue from DWP on the 14th Oct 2010 saying nothing had changed in our claim, however on close further inspection we noticed our housing benefit had been reduced by £43 per week due to the interest rate cut from 6.64% to 3.32% leaving us to find the difference. we already have to pay a shortfalll in the mortgage of £193 per month and this extra has come as a terrible blow. we have recently had our house adapted for wheelchair use at great cost to the local council, and the house is personally adapted to our needs moving is simply not an option .

Can anyone tell us if there is any thing we can do to receive help or advice on making up this shortfall as we simply do not have the available funds and don't know what else to do. Many thanks for any advice anyone can give

Hi, I am in the same position, disabled, my wife is my carer, and we received the same news, not a letter explaining why just the letter you get telling you how your benefits are worked out, money is already very tight, we have to find £80 p/m to pay the endownment which in 3 years will give us a £30,000 shortfall, and we have huge debt from a "cover-Up" medical negligence claim we were forced into, which caused my disability. We are told they are making the system simpler and fairer !, they were paying everyong a flat rate of around 6% which just covers my mortgage, however, there are people who have fixed 3% mortgages so they get double what they need, so to solve it disabled people get less than they need putting their homes at risk, and thats fair? why cant they just pay the interest each person is being charged by their lender, no more or no less, dont know what we will do, DLA reviews next. I wish you all the very best. Kind Regards Bernie

Hi duxbury, your case is a perfect example of how the short sightedness of the cuts will actually cost more.

Bernie259 and I are following this via a new thread, please post there because this is a bigger issue than first thought, have a look at my comment re. ECHR intervention to overturn this stupid new cut in mortgage interest benefit.

Main thread: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?279895-interest-payments-reduced-by-dwp-can-the-action-group-assist-with-mass-complaint-to-the-goverment%283-Viewing%29-nbsp

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

• 6 months later...