LG Plasma tv

Neo1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4891 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A couple of years ago (31 Dec 2008) i bought myself a xmas gift- a 42" plasma tv for £450. To be exact it was an LG 42PG3000. Although there was nothing wrong with my old tv- Ferguson 32" I had had it for 6 years and it was time for a change- time to move with the times and into the 21st century. All was going so well when just this afternoon about 4pm the screen went blank as if it had been switched off. I tried pushing in all leads, pushing all buttons but still no picture. There was full sound but just no visuals. My question is two fold- first to you budding tv teckies- any ideas wots going on here? And secondly to the legal guys- do i have any legal rights? i still have my receipt. Am i entitled to a refund or exchange. Although i didn't expect it to last forever, I did expect it to last alot longer than 22 months.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Cheers.

Techie-me-not a chance!

SoGA-different matter.

For a £450 TV, I would expect it to last a lot longer than that.

You would need to contact the SELLER. Don't be fobbed off with, "You will need to contact the manufacturer" Your contract is with the shop you bought the TV from.

Under SoGA, in the first 6 months, if a fault appears, it is assumed that the fault was there on purchase. After 6 months, it is down to the purchaser to prove the fault is a manufacturing fault.

Contact the seller and see if they will repair the TV. If they won't then you will have to invoke SoGA. They will probably ask you to get an independant report done to see if the fault is a manufacturing fault. Don't get the report done off your own back as you may not get a refund of the report costs.

If it can be proved that the fault is a manufacturing one then they could repair it or give you a discount on a new set. You won't get all your money back as you have had "enjoyment" of the product for 22 months.

First port of call is to see what the seller says. They may be very reasonable.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I very much doubt they will be reasonable.

I am in a similar situation. Get an independent tv engineer to diagnosis the fault and write a report. Send report, receipt for tv and a letter to the Retailer.

Ignore what the retailer will undoubtedly say about being out of warranty. And in fact you are still within the 2 years EU warranty (google) (though UK SOGA gives you more rights tbh)

Plasma TVs do wear out - but I's certainly expect longer that 22 months. Your seller will refer you to LG, and in this case I'd chase LG, as they are better placed to provide support and arrange a replacement. I've found their assistance exemplary, but I'd never, ever buy A plasma set - LCD is the way to go, as it doesn;t have the same problems.

LG will advise and recomend a repair centre but i'd be surprised if they dont charge a lot of money for that.

The contract isnt with LG its with the retailer. So thats why i'd advise the OP to deal with them.

I partially agree with Buzby.

It is important for the initial contact to be made to the seller first and then if they do refer the OP to LG and LG don't help, the OP still has his/her rights protected

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I partially agree with Buzby.

It is important for the initial contact to be made to the seller first and then if they do refer the OP to LG and LG don't help, the OP still has his/her rights protected

Thanks for the comments. i will contact the seller- from experience would you say it is best to do this by phone, visit or letter?

Phone first, as they may be able to refer you directly to thei relevant LG support centre. If you get the run around, then follow up in writing.

Yeah- I've just been in touch with the sellers who gave me the number of the LG support, who in turn provided me with local LG teckie engineers. I was told that I would have to foot the bill. Not happy so went back to the seller who said it is unfortunate but their guarentee only covers the item for 12 months. Any repairs after this period i would have to pay for. What are my options- if any?

If you are prepared to battle, there's all to play for. Two years for an LG TV is not 'reasonable', but you need to have them diagnose what has gone wrong. LG have the capability to extend your warranty to cover most faults, especially those that are seen to be caused by bad or faulty manufacture (but not, say, if coke was poured in through the slats). Once they diagnose, ask whether this is a common fault. Irrespective of the answer, WRITE to LG customer service and explain that for this to happen in such a short time for such a prestige maker is incredible, but before you take it further, would they be prepared to rectify the situation as a matter of goodwill and customer satisfaction?

• 3 weeks later...
If you are prepared to battle, there's all to play for. Two years for an LG TV is not 'reasonable', but you need to have them diagnose what has gone wrong. LG have the capability to extend your warranty to cover most faults, especially those that are seen to be caused by bad or faulty manufacture (but not, say, if coke was poured in through the slats). Once they diagnose, ask whether this is a common fault. Irrespective of the answer, WRITE to LG customer service and explain that for this to happen in such a short time for such a prestige maker is incredible, but before you take it further, would they be prepared to rectify the situation as a matter of goodwill and customer satisfaction?

Hi All

I wrote to the sellers and quoted Sales of Goods act 1979 plus I also included a quote I recived from an independant electronics co (H&H) who stated that the problem was a faulty control board and to repair would cost £303. The sellers replied:

“You have requested that under the sales of goods act 1979 , we should bear the cost of repairing your tv or replace the tv outside the manufacturers one year warranty.

My understanding of the legislation is that there must be determinable proof that the product was faulty at point of sale, or was not fit for purpose. It is extremely difficult for anybody to determine whether there was a fault at point of sale, as any decision would involve a level of subjectivity, as per the assessment by H & H electronics, which I cannot accept as it has not been signed by Mr Chotai.

We can only deal with facts thus I have spoken with LG and have looked at our records relating to this model and cannot find any failure rates that are abnormal, in fact your television is the only failure we have had reported on this model.

For this reason I must refuse your request.”

The quote I sent by H&H was not signe but this is not a problem to resolve. My first thought was that if this was the only tv that has LG states has developed this fault within 22 months then it is not normal. May i have your comments. I would love to get this resolved before xmas for the sake of the kids. Any assistance will be greatly received. Thank you.

Quoting SOGA is uaually guaranteed to put them on their defence, as can be seen from their reply. That said the relevance of their complained that the H&H quotation for repair was not signed is irrelevant, but I'm confused as to who you wrote to. If it was your seller, the fact they had no returns on this model for this fault is hardly representative. They may have only sold yours! It would be proper for LG to comment on this as a trend.

I'm assuming you've already checked for others complaining of the same fault? If there are none, then there could be issues other than manufacturing problems affecting your model. In my district, the local electricity supplier was providing power at 268v AC, almost 40v more than the median. The first this did was fry low-energy bulbs, other electronics (usually plug-top adaptors) before moving onto integrated items, like TV and STBs and DVRs/

As this was an end-of-line sub-station fault they had no monitoring that the local supply was out of spec, and is was only when my power-protection devices were tripping that I realised what the problem was. For those issues, it was not the manufacturers of the bust kit that were to blame, but the local electricity supplier. Whilst LG themselves might be intrerested in resolving the issue for goodwill purposes, the reality is they would not be liable for another party's failings.

Check with neighbours... have they noticed popping bulbs and expiring electrical kit? Also damp surroundings (or cold rooms. heated quickly to cause condensation) cause leakage and component short circuits.

Any action you take will have to be against the original retailer, and they will either settle to make it go away, or stick to their guns that if there was a filing, it was not inherently with the item. You then you need the court to decide on the balance of probabilities. The way round this blame game is to extend the warranty so it becomes a non issue.

In your situation, I'd contact LG with a copy letter to the retailer stating your dissatisfaction with their response, and ask them to intervene.