Matt G

Mortgage interest payments stopped abruptly

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3580 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

My mortgage interest payments are £320.00 per month.

I have been claiming JSA - Council Tax/Housing Benefit since October 2008. The Housing Benefit I received was £270.00/month contribution and I had to make up the shortfall.

I have recently started re-training at NVQ level, one day per week in order to get back into work. It will take several months before I am qualified or competent.

I am still entitled to, and am indeed still claiming JSA/ Council Tax benefits but have been informed that the DWP will stop paying any mortgage interest payments as of next month. This will mean I am forced to find £320.00 a month to remain in my home, from an income of approx' £240.00 JSA.

Surely if I am still entitled to Job Seekers Allowance/Council Tax benefit then some form of housing costs assistence should be forthcoming.

If we are all repossessed and made homeless will this help the economy. I am sure I am not alone in this matter and would welcome any feedback.

Many thanks

Matt

Housing benefit and Support for mortgage interest cannot be claimed simutaneously. Housing benefit is for rented properties and SMI is for mortgaged properties. Were you receiving both?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Thankyou ErikaPNP.

No I was only receiving SMI (I didn't realise this was different from HB) as I am a leaseholder and was forced to claim JSA from October 2008.

Apparently I am still entitled to JSA/Council Tax benefit but the lady at the DWP told me my mortgage assistance will be stopped next month. I am now very concerned about losing my home. Any knowledge you have of this situation would be very much appreciated.

Thankyou

Hello, I hope we can help you. When you say you're a leaseholder, do you mean you have a leasehold property please, not that you're renting?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

yes I am a leaseholder. I bought my council flat in 2004

If you have been receiving the SMI for the same length of time as JSA it will be coming up to 104 weeks (approx two years). Unfortunately for claimants receiving income based JSA the law only allows SMI to be paid for a maximum of 104 weeks. (It's indefinite for other benefits).

Both CAB and Shelter fought against this time limit when the legislation was drafted in 2008 but they were unsuccessful in getting the limit removed from the regulations.

I'm sorry I can't give you better news, Matt.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)