paying travel time to work - or not?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4274 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work for an agency and we regularly (at least once a day) travel 45 minutes to an hour to collect a child to take them to meet their parents. We also have to do the same journey back home.

Up until recently the agency paid us this "travel time".

The agency are now saying our period of work starts when we arrive at the address to pick the child up. Not when we leave home.

Surely the moment i leave my home is when my employment starts. I'm leaving home to complete a job that i have been hired to do. Under this new system i will lose nearly half my money.

We are all on 0 hours contracts and have business insurance for our cars (for the travel aspect of the job).

I have spoken to my Union but have to wait 10 days for an appointment.

Thank you all for your views.

Hi. The fact that you were paid previously but not now appears on the face of it to represent a reduction in either your working hours or your wages, but whether you may persuade them to see it this way is another matter. How long have you beein doing this and paid for it? Was it specified in your original contract that you would be paid from the time that you leave home? Is the agency the 'employer'? How are you reimbursed for fuel? Is there an alternative task that you could do which is closer to home?

Your initial step should be a grievance setting out that the change in arrangements potentially represents an Unlawful Deduction from your wages and complaining about the financial effects of the change. The zero hours contract does not make a difference, but it could well leave you finding that you are provided with fewer hours in future as it means that they are not obliged to offer work and you are not obliged to accept!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Hi. The fact that you were paid previously but not now appears on the face of it to represent a reduction in either your working hours or your wages, but whether you may persuade them to see it this way is another matter. How long have you beein doing this and paid for it?

For just over a year.

Was it specified in your original contract that you would be paid from the time that you leave home?

I have nothing in writing but i was told that this time was payable.

is the agency the 'employer'?

No, i work for the agency on behalf of the county council.

How are you reimbursed for fuel?

I am paid a set amount per mile.

Is there an alternative task that you could do which is closer to home?

Possibly but i go where the agency send me.

Your initial step should be a grievancelink3.gif setting out that the change in arrangements potentially represents an Unlawful Deduction from your wages and complaining about the financial effects of the change. The zero hours contract does not make a difference, but it could well leave you finding that you are provided with fewer hours in future as it means that they are not obliged to offer work and you are not obliged to accept!

This is definitely the case and those that have complained over other things have suddenly found their rota to be quite empty.

Do you have an office base for admin etc? I can see what they are trying to do here in that your 'normal' travel to and from your place of work is not claimable. If you can go into the office and start this longer journey from there then it is a claimable expense as you have already undertaken your journey to work. I had exactly the same situation, also with a council and started going into work first which actually increased the mileage they had to pay by 12 miles each way.

That does seem very weird. To me this should either be a journey taken to work OR a journey untertaken as work. I don't see how it can be both in that they will pay your mileage but not your time. If they are claiming it is a journey to work and they are paying your mileage I think it should be taxable. Are you taxed on your mileage payments?