Morbis

Emails regarding an already paid debt.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3580 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

*Sorry about the title being mispelt, I cannot seem to fix that now that the post has been submitted and I missed it before doing so.

Hello Forum Goers,

Looking for a little bit of advise. Two years ago I had an outstanding debt (£1775) sent to the TNC Group for collection, which I paid on January the 13th of this year. I have bank statements confirming that the payment was made. Two weeks ago I received an email from someone claiming to work for the TNC Group that said that the debt had not been paid and that it needed to be paid within 7 days or legal action may be taken. I phoned the number provided and talked to someone, and they confirmed that the debt had been paid and that the email had been sent in fault.

Earlier today I received another email that again said the debt was unpaid and that I had been unresponsive to all attempts to contact me. They claim that they have sent letters, made phone calls and texts and that I have not responded to any of these. I responded to this email with a reply saying that I had indeed phoned them and that the debt was already paid. I have yet to receive a response from them and at the moment I am not really expecting one.

Am I at all at risk from any legal action? How should I act moving forward? I intend to phone them again tomorrow simply to double check that the debt has been paid and that these emails are definitely in fault. I also intend to ask that they send a letter in writing confirming that this is the case. Is there anything else I should be doing? I have begun to think that perhaps these emails are the result of the debt information being sold to a third party, however I cannot see what benefit such a party would hope to claim. Is this a possibility?

Even if they did take cout action (which in my opinion is unlikely) the claim would automatically fall if evidence was provided to prove that the debt has been paid.

TWO THINGS. REMEMBER IT IS THE RESPONSIBILTY OF THE PURSUER TO PROVE THAT THE DEBT EXISTS AND NOT THE DEFENDER TO PROVE OTHERWISE.

NEVER CONTACT THESE PEOPLE BY TELEPHONE, WRITING ONLY AND RETAIN COPIES OF ALL CORESPONDENCE.

Edited by Crocdoc
ADD SENTENCE