• Tweets

• Hi I am after some help and advice regarding issues faced with Advantage Finance   Ive dealt with it on my own up to now, but now feel im being fobbed off   I purchased a caravan last august on finance and had nothing but trouble with it from the off minor things - heating not working, hot water not working, toilet not flushing   Messaged the seller who just ignored my concerns basically so I had to pay another caravan engineer to look at the caravan to fix said issues   Upon the inspection the engineer found extreme damp in the frame and floor of caravan as well as the other issues mentioned above although this  could not be seen by the eye.   I immediately called the finance company and the seller to inform of findings and paid the £700 bill to fix the other issues. The engineer said the caravan was sold dangerously and not set up correctly. Hence why things never worked for us. We had only been out in it three times at this point due to work and family commitments.   Seller and finance company stated I had to pay for another independent inspection to go in depth with the findings at another cost of £75. I done this and provided both of them the report which shown even more damp than first anticipated to different areas of the van over 90%.   Finance company agreed to then send out there independent inspector who found exactly the same faults and drew up a report to send back. Finance company then offered seller chance to repair. Seller received caravan back from us and only took blame for the front part of the van and stated they could not find anything wrong with the rest. Finance company stated for them to fix the areas they take responsibility for.   Caravan was fixed and returned to us but I was still not happy as they didn't fix all areas, Finance company  agreed to send out another inspector to look.   Inspector stated the fix was not sufficient and not waterproof and basically a bodge job which I was fully aware of and stated the caravan now needs to be rejected due to the seller having a chance to repair and it not being sufficient. I thought ok great finally, Im winning. Caravan was collected last week and I then sent an email to the finance company thanking them for the rejection and that I would look forward to receiving my payments made over the last year towards the caravan, repair costs, compensation for lost holidays etc   They have replied that I am not entitled to anything and the £5000 in payments they have had from me will go towards the usage of the van, Research I had done up until this point all stated I would receive money back due to van not being fit for purpose? So i am very shocked and annoyed I have paid all that money and I am not entitled to anything back. I have tried to be basic here in what has went on so forgive me if It does not make sense. Any help or advice greatly receievd on next steps    I have told the finance company I am not happy to have lost all that money here is there responses Thank you for sending over the information regarding the caravan being collected and taken back to Newark Auctions.  We will now start the process of removing you from the existing credit agreement and will notify the relevant credit agencies to remove our entry from your file. This therefore removes any responsibility you have regarding this agreement. In terms of any refunds owed to you we have reviewed the account and there are no payments that need to be refunded. There were no payments made whilst the complaint was open and the payments made prior to the complaint being raised will be retained for usage. Whilst you advised us that you have not used the caravan, this was your choice and the caravan was available for use and in your possession since the start of the hire purchase agreement, it is reasonable that the payments that would have been due during that period are retained.  As a suitable resolution is in place we will now close the complaint.   I replied with -  Please do not close the complaint down I am not happy to pay for something that was not fit for purpose I will still be liaising with the financial ombudsman to seek out my refund. I also hold legal cover with my house insurance so I will commence court proceedings in regards to this complaint could you please forward me any relevant paperwork needed to inform you of this or if indeed this email is sufficient. I do thank you for rejecting the caravan on our behalf but do not see how I am not entitled to my refund. I was not Aware it had damp until I paid for service. Your inspector stated the damp was there at point of sale meaning it was not fit for purpose so how can you say I happily used it   They have just then replied with this Thank you for your email, However we must advise that based on the information provided we will consider the matter closed as soon as the caravan is confirmed on site at Newark Auction. A final response will be posted to you that will contain all the details of where the complaint can be referred to if you disagree. Kind Regards        
    • Its just that Dido can't add up,  She is to the Lords what Diane Abbott is to the Commons.
    • Outstanding Questions the Government need to answer   If Hancock and sercos test and trace has a (repeatedly claimed) capacity of 240,000/300,000 a day : Why are only 81,000 people a day being tested?   Every single minister that has claimed that capacity needs to be held responsible for an answer - thats well in excess of 1 MILLION tests a week unaccounted for
    • Ok, thank you very much for your help. I really do appreciate it.
    • The CMA has today published further detail on its views on the law in relation to cancellations and refunds during the pandemic. View the full article
  • Our picks

• @curryspcworld @TeamKnowhowUK - Samsung 75 8K TV - completely broken by Currys. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426151-samsung-75-8k-tv-completely-broken-by-currys/&do=findComment&comment=5069075
      • 4 replies
    • @skinnyfoodco Skinny Foods. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426130-skinny-foods/&do=findComment&comment=5068996
      • 8 replies
    • I’m in desperate need of help

I bought some clothes online in may through Evans and paid through PayPal
      returned them all seven days later

I waited the 14days for my refund and no refund came
      I put in a dispute through PayPal but I didn’t get any emails to escalate the case - PayPal closed it. 
      evans said they couldn’t refund the money because PayPal have cancelled the refund because of the open dispute

I contacted PayPal
      they said the dispute had been closed but Evans at no point had attempted a refund.
      fast forward to today

I’ve got copies of numerous messages sent to and from twitter messages as it’s the only way I can contact them
      I’ve also contacted their customer service too
      all I get is PayPal have cancelled refund because dispute is still open.

I have proved that the dispute is closed
      I have got an email saying that if Evans sent the refund they would accept it
      but up until the date I got the email they have not once attempted a refund .

I have sent them a letter before court email
      I have even offered to have the full refund as a gift card just to get this sorted !

I’m literally at the end of my tether and don’t know where to turn next !

i suffer with mental health issues and this is affecting my health and I’d saved the money for a year to buy these clothes as I’m on a low income .
    • In desperate need of help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/425244-in-desperate-need-of-help/&do=findComment&comment=5067040
      • 29 replies

DD for pet insurance not taken out???

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3629 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I keep getting pet insurance set up in one of my business accounts for anything up to £100 a month. I have not set these up and the bank have to keep refunding me, i finally got hold of the company today to be told this is an on going issue and not just to me! anything i can do apart from close my account>?

Well that doesn't sound very fair on you to have to close the account. Why do they keep debiting this and what did you sign if anything, please?

And what is the company's explanation for the debits? Computer error for example?

Can you ask the bank not to pay any DDs to this company? There should be some sort of reference for the policy, assuming there's only one. I have blocked standing orders etc on my personal account when I've cancelled something.

HB

Edited by honeybee13
grammar.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi HB...

Well its all a bit of a worry tbh! i have never taken out pet insurance, dont no the company and not signed anything! lucky for me i dont use this account for much just a few deposits here and there but all the same!

The company said they have had this problem with people setting up insurance online using other peoples bank account details, i asked them if the name on the policy was mine and she said no! So i am wondering if its ID theft? I am in the process of checking my credit history now ...what a pain in the $^$£^$£^

I agree, it's confusing. Are the company involved not telling you very much? I don't know what the gurus here think, but I'd have thought the company should have a bit more of a handle on this. If it gets really tough, you have the FSA, but I wouldn't like to say if it merits that at the moment, the gurus will, I expect.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Suggest that you contact the Insurance company concerned in writing. The Direct Debit mandate on the account should contain a reference and name of the company. If you send the letter to their head office marked complaint and ask them to look into this, then they should hopefully get to the bottom of it. You should be able to find their head office address details online if you do a search.

It could be that someone somewhere is entering the wrong account details when setting up the policies. This is probably down to an error rather than fraud. Unless someone who works for your company is trying to get the company to pay the Insurance for their family pet.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread