1st quote took my money

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4893 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last year i was insured with 1st quote car insurance , my policy ended in September.

I never received a new quote & to be honest i forgot it was due for renewal, i no longer have the car, but on checking my bank statement they took £59 as new monthly cover [ £22 per month last year] out of my account, i contacted them to be told its my responsibility.

I really don't understand how they can do this, i never agreed to a roll on but there telling me its in the good old terms & conditions. Not happy but is there anything i can do or have they legally robbed me.

phone your bank

tell them they have taken it with no binding contract.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

phone your bank

tell them they have taken it with no binding contract.

dx

Thanks for the quick reply.

Could you expand on your answer please, 1st quote were adamant that because i had not cancelled in the 14 day period that it is down to me. I genuinely never received a new quote plus no new policy, they say they sent it out. What can my bank do?

Many thanks

Middx

Phone the FOS for advice. Under FSA rules the Insurers have to issue renewal documents, so you have a chance to review and cancel if you require. When you phoned the company they have appeared to reject your complaint out of hand. They are not allowed to do this as this also breaks FSA rules. It is for this reason that I suggest that you phone the FOS.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/contact/index.html

If the payment was by debit/credit card under a continuous payment authority, your bank won't help you, even if you hadn't received a renewal notice with details of automatic renewal and contiuation. You need to take this up with 1st quote via the FOS.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Phone the FOS for advice. Under FSA rules the Insurers have to issue renewal documents, so you have a chance to review and cancel if you require. When you phoned the company they have appeared to reject your complaint out of hand. They are not allowed to do this as this also breaks FSA rules. It is for this reason that I suggest that you phone the FOS.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/contact/index.html

If the payment was by debit/credit card under a continuous payment authority, your bank won't help you, even if you hadn't received a renewal notice with details of automatic renewal and continuation. You need to take this up with 1st quote via the FOS.

Thanks very much for your advice.

Phoned the FOS & they have taken the details & will now forward my complaint to 1st quote, now just have to wait & see what transpires. Not sure how much clout the FOS has but at least they will have to deal with my complaint in a professional manner & not as flippantly as they dealt with me when i phoned.

Once again many thanks for your help

Middx

UPDATE

Hi

Just a quick update , today i received a letter from 1st quote demanding payment of £247.20

According to them its the outstanding amount owed because of cancellation of the insurance i knew nothing about.

Any thoughts / advice is very welcome

Middx

Edited by snowy101
SPELLING

Just send it back to them advising that you have asked the FOS to make contact with them. Tell them that you won't be paying anything, until the FOS have dealt with a complaint about several breaches of FSA rules.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Send the letter by recorded delivery so they can't say they never got it- and keep a copy for yourself in case you need to let the FOS have it.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Insurance policies are allowed to auto-renew, but they must send notification of the renewal to the customer 21 days prior to the new policy being incepted. Most insurance companies aim for 28 days to be safe.

Now the thing here is that no insurance company I know of sends this notification by recorded delivery, and if they do not do this then they are not able to prove whether it arrived in time or not. They may have sent the letter, but that's not the legal restriction. You must have received it. Of course it might not be your insurance company's fault - it may simply have got lost in the post. But frankly, that's their problem not yours.

Be adamant that you did not get the renewal notification. Say that you wish to have the policy voided from inception, as the insurance company broke the law in not giving you notification, and that you want all money taken returned to you (or your bank if your bank has covered the taken amount under the DD guarantee).

I am convinced that the FOS will see in your favour - just stick to the main point that your insurance company did not notify you, as that is all that matters here.

agree with Wulfrym, Ins comps will not send renewals recorded due to cost. They also have to send a renewal at least 21 days before the renewal date.

When did you get rid of the car? was it before or after the renewal? as this could help your case with the FOS.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this.

1st Joke are sticking to their guns & the 8 week rule has been invoked so now the FSO can become involved, they have sent me a letter & a copy of 1st Joke`s internal inquiry.

I will stick to my truthful guns in that i never received no new quote or renewal policy & hopefully the FSO will find in my favour.

Just a quick question ....... IF the FSO do find in my favour have they got the power to order 1st joke to reimburse my monies?.

Middx

yes

FOS not FSO surely??

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

yes fos adjudicators decision is legally binding

dx

and they

Not quite right, the adjudicators decision does not have to be accepted by either party, they can ask for an Ombudsman to review. The Ombudsman's decision is binding.

I'm surprised they have allowed it to get this far as the amount is outweighed by the FOS fee which is unrecoverable.

However, don't be surprised if the FOS tale the view that if the insurer has a copy the letter and no reason to doubt it was sent on the day, recorded or not that is enough evidence of proof of sending. In the eyes of the law and the FOS proof of sending is enough to assume reciept. The renewal if automatic as part of your contract, and clearly brought to your attention is not to be considered as a surprise, as you have said, you forgot, but I'm not sure that will be considered a god enought reason.

Good luck though, this could happen to anyone of us, and despite terms and condition,. when it comes down to our own money, we would all do the same as you.

yep sorry got the names wrong way around.

the ombudsmans decision is binding after refered to him by the adjudicator.

dx

and they