Private or Council

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3879 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I parked in the Booths Car park in Kirby Lonsdale and paid at the meter for one hour. I shopped at Booths and handed in the tear off 'Voucher' attached to the ticket and was reimbursed for the parking costs.

I stayed longer than an hour and got a PCN.

I am confused because, as it was a Booths Car Park , I assumed that this was private parking with the private parking rules , however, the PCN has been issued by the Cumbria County Council & South Lakeland Council?

Is this a private or a council notice or can it be both?

Thank you.

• 11 months later...

I am a leaseholder of an ex council flat in a high rise block. I have a parking space underground, under the block. To park, you have to apply for and be granted a particular space. You then pay the fee and get a Estate bay parking permit which has to be displayed on the windscreen. A month before my permit expire, I paid for and received the new permit, however, it was two days after the expiry date of the earlier permit before I put the new one on the windscreen. In this time I was issued with a ' Tower Hamlets Homes Civil Parking Notice' administered by NSL Services group , a private company employed by T Hamlets. The council are fully aware that I have a valid permit, that I was parked in my own bay as this is all held on their computers, and so from all practical viewpoints, was not doing anything wrong.

I wrote to 'ower Hamlets parking enforcement ' but clearly the address was that of NSL, and explain what I have said above but received the usual letter saying pay£60 within 14 days or it will go up to £120.

My question is, is this a CPN which I can just ignore or does it make it a different case because it is associated with the Council, my land lords.

It certainly sounds like a civil dispute rather than a statutary notice but its further complicated because you are a) a permit holder which probably means you agreed to some kind of contract and b) you have admitted to the Council it was you that parked.

I am a leaseholder of an ex council flat in a high rise block. I have a parking space underground, under the block. To park, you have to apply for and be granted a particular space. You then pay the fee and get a Estate bay parking permit which has to be displayed on the windscreen. A month before my permit expire, I paid for and received the new permit, however, it was two days after the expiry date of the earlier permit before I put the new one on the windscreen. In this time I was issued with a ' Tower Hamlets Homes Civil Parking Notice' administered by NSL Services group , a private company employed by T Hamlets. The council are fully aware that I have a valid permit, that I was parked in my own bay as this is all held on their computers, and so from all practical viewpoints, was not doing anything wrong.

I wrote to 'ower Hamlets parking enforcement ' but clearly the address was that of NSL, and explain what I have said above but received the usual letter saying pay£60 within 14 days or it will go up to £120.

My question is, is this a CPN which I can just ignore or does it make it a different case because it is associated with the Council, my land lords.

It is clearly a private parking company and despite your contract they can only charge for a breach of that contract.

Since the amount they want to charge differs 14 days apart then it cannot represent their losses and is seeking to impose a penalty. Since private companies cannot impose a penalty ignore until you get proper papers from a court.

When and if that happens - come back here.

It is clearly a private parking company and despite your contract they can only charge for a breach of that contract.

Since the amount they want to charge differs 14 days apart then it cannot represent their losses and is seeking to impose a penalty. Since private companies cannot impose a penalty ignore until you get proper papers from a court.

When and if that happens - come back here.

Thank you that's very helpful. Further to what you are saying, my contract must be with the Council and not NSL. The 'Conditions of Use' says nothing directly on the point but do say this ..' responsibility for the renewal or replacement of this permit rests with the holder. The council will not take any responsibility if an out of date permit is displayed on a vehicle , which is subsequently clamped or removed from the estate'.

I have parked in this bay for around 7 years and have often had out of date permits on the car. This is the first time I have had any problem. Coincidently..or maybe not....I also have an on street parking permit and again I was a few days late in putting the new permit in the car, this was around a week before this incident. I was given 2 PCN on consecutive days. I wrote to Tower Hamlets and received 2 letters back. One accepting my representations and cancelling the ticket and the other upholding the PCN. I appealed and again , the PCN was upheld. It seems that there is a concerted effort to profiteer from these permits.

I will hold off and see if anything further comes through.

many thanks