disciplinary at work re lateness help needed!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4938 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:-(hi

can anyone give us some advice - my partner has a disciplinary hearing at work on monday (18.10.10) re being late in mornings.

they have a time sheet proving his lateness so obviously he cannot deny this. however, his company only operate the "clocking in" process with him and one other employee (who also has a disciplinary on monday).

is this just a process to sack him do you think? would he be better to resign thus his cv would look better?

can anyone give us any advice on what he should/should not say at this hearing? I already know he is entitled to bring someone with him but he does not know who he should bring as he is not in a union at work.

can he get sacked after this hearing or does it have to count as a "last warning"?

please help URGENT!

many thanks

:cheer2: Pretty Princess Charlie :cheer2:

How long has your partner worked for his employer?

How often has he been late, and to what extent? What has been the material detriment, if any, to the company by him being late?

Are there any underlying issues between him and his employer, any 'politics'?

How is the business doing, do you think they might be looking to offload staff?

Hello there, sorry to hear your up against this.

In addition to what Elpuplo asked, are there any mitigating circumstances for your OH being late?

As for the consequences, it doesn't have to be dismissal. Do you have the company's disciplinary procedures handy? In your OH's staff handbook or contract usually. These are worth a read because you can see what is likely to happen, but also because it's in your interests to check that they're actually following the procedures. We get people here all the time whose employers don't do that.

Please post up anything you'd like us to comment on and don't forget to answer your uncle Elpulpo :).

HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

PS. Have a read of the directgov and ACAS websites, they both have guidance on how a disc procedure should be run. They suggest what is best practice.

About what your OH should say, we have time to refine this before Monday. Other caggers should be along later with advice for you and I know we have people who are good at telling you the best aproach to take.

See you later, HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

:-(hi

can anyone give us some advice - my partner has a disciplinary hearing at work on monday (18.10.10) re being late in mornings.

they have a time sheet proving his lateness so obviously he cannot deny this. however, his company only operate the "clocking in" process with him and one other employee (who also has a disciplinary on monday).

Slightly strange, but whilst he may be able to lodge a grievance over unequal treatment it wouldn't take away from the fact that he has been 'caught' for persistent lateness, unless he is willing and able to demonstrate that this is common practice amongst staff who are not being monitored so closely. As stated above, it does suggest that there may have been some reason for only certain staff having to prove punctuality.

is this just a process to sack him do you think? would he be better to resign thus his cv would look better?

Definitely no - the CV may look better, but there is still the inevitable question of 'Why did you leave your last position?' and on a reference 'The employee left whilst the subject of a disciplinary matter?'. An employer would be perfectly entitled to investigate persistent lateness, so I don't think this is a ploy to dismiss UNLESS there is a history of misdemeanours. Any disciplinary action may be appealed, but it is not so easy to ask for the job back if ytou realise that your resignation has then made it difficult to find other work.

can anyone give us any advice on what he should/should not say at this hearing? I already know he is entitled to bring someone with him but he does not know who he should bring as he is not in a union at work.

He is entitled to be accompanied by a Union official OR a work colleague - the choice is his. Regarding what to say - much depends on the reasons for the lateness. Certainly he should apologise and accept wrongdoing, and to try as far as possible to explain the reasons. Regular traffic? A reason why he could not leave home earlier? Sleep Apnoea? Childcare issues? Bus schedules?.

can he get sacked after this hearing or does it have to count as a "last warning"?

It depends on previous disciplinary hearings, reputation when at work, any existing warnings, length of service and most of all an acceptance of a problem and a willingness to put the problem right. It would be extremely unusual to dismiss for a first or minor episodes of lateness, unless it was systematic and designed to defraud the company. If he has not worked there for 12 months and if there is a desire to shed staff, then he may be unlucky, but most commonly, a disciplinary hearing would have the aim of changing the errant behaviour and should result in a preliminary or final warning BUT this may be a matter for more severe sanction if there are previous warnings which have not expired.

please help URGENT!

many thanks

Aim for a metaphorical slap on the wrist and make a commitment to become the model employee.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

hi all

just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU to all of you for yr help.

The reason only 2 employees (out of his dept of 9 employees) have to clock on is: when the company brought in the clocking in machine they said that once each of them had done a full month of being on time - then they would not have to contine the clocking in process! and unfortunately, my partner and one other collegeaue have managed to not do a full month of not being late! Strange I know!

However, its worth adding that now that the rest of them are not clocking in - they are often sneaking in late but not getting caught as they dont have to clock in anymore!

Once again, thank you to all of you for yr prompt and good advice.

Wish us luck (ill let you know outcome tomor nite)

:?::|

:cheer2: Pretty Princess Charlie :cheer2:

No problem. I'll keep fingers crossed.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!