• Tweets

• Thank you all for your replies  I am obviuously over thinking things best to continue to ignore  onlymeagain  
    • As advised statute barred debts are dead...if your alive or dead......so are CCJs that are over  6 years old and have never been executed or secured against property by way of a charging order.......no matter how much your estate is worth.
    • I booked several rooms with FABHOTELS.COM - I have made sure the rooms were cancellable    due to the condition in India regarding Covid becoming very bad I cancelled the rooms and my visit to India and will not be travelling for the foreseeable future, I then checked my account and they have stated there can be no refund back to my card but I have to accept their room credits to the value of £478 valid for 12 months when they will then expire if I do not use them by that date,   I have contacted them on several telephone numbers and via email, they have refused to issue a refund : stating it is their policy to issue only rooms credits and these will expire in 12 months, they have advised they have the right to do this under the contract and under Indian law,   I have raised a SEC 75 claim, via the credit card company however they have not advised what the above means and stated it will take 11 weeks for a response,   I am concerned that a refund has been provided and the cancellation has been approved as such as a refundable cancellation, albeit they have stated no refund to the credit card can be made. I have sent the following to them and their response has been - we are unable to assist further - I have now concern how they can do this when the law does not allow this to be possible? The issue that I have experienced was:   Disgraceful behaviour by Fab hotels in holding cancelled bookings in an expiring account when cancelled fully - NO REFUND ISSUED? Please can you refund the full amount to my credit card as due to the Covid restrictions there is no guarantee I will be in India in next twenty four months I await your refund back to my with the Credit card Company as I am not able to use the Credits expiring in 12 Months, I have been in touch with the credit card Company and they have confirmed they will be looking to FabHotels to refund back to the Original card as part of the Sec 75 Laws where a cancellation has been made and the payment has to be refunded back to the Original payment card. I have not been able to confirm I will be using the credits and therefore in order to safeguard my funds these needs to be back into my, If this is not accepted then I reserve the right to take the matter further for a investigation and chargeback as I have not authorised the payment and the reservations have been cancelled. Please can this be escalated to a senior manager and a refund issued back to the Visa card. If this is the Customer experience I have to endure then I will make it quite clear that this i not acceptable that you take money and put it into a expiring account and then ask me to contact you to get the extension,   this is not customer service, I am deeply distressed by your action as there are no other Booking agents who are doing this to their customers, especially considering the hotels have been accepted as cancelled and a refund issued but held in expiring account.
    • That's logical and correct DX,  and how I understood it to work if they can't pursue the debtor  for the debt whilst they are alive, it can't be resurrected and charged against the estate or demanded personally from executors who knew diddly about that SB debt..
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
Alfie_London_Driver

Unfair parking ticket reversing into building site

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3582 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Please could somebody give me some advice? I was working on a building site in London, accessible by a narrow entrance up a dropped kerb. I parked legally on site all day, then when I was ready to leave I could not access my van's back door to load up. I drove out of the building site turned around in the road and started reversing through the narrow gap into the building site, back up the dropped kerb. I was aware there were two civil enforcement officers working in the road very near. I believe they would have seen what I was doing. As I was carrying out my reversing manouver I needed to check clearance as there were cars and other obstacles close to my vehicle. I put my hazard warning lights on and got out of the van, leaving the engine running. I walked to the back of the van checked the clearance and walked back to get in the drivers seat. As I approached the front of the van one of the civil enforcement officers was writing a parking ticket. I protested and he said he was already writing it so had to finish and I would have to appeal.

I appealed on-line, and have received a letter saying the penalty charge notice was issued because I had one or more wheels on or over a footpath or any part of a road other than a carriageway. I have been told the notice will stand as it is forbidden to to park on the footway and a contravention of the Greater London Council (General Powers) Act. This is the the case even if the engine is running and hazard lights on. My question is do I pay the £60 - this will double after 14 days, or do I continue to appeal against this? Or could I pay the £60 without prejudice and continue to fight it. My arguement is that I was not parked, and I was on a dropped kerb. I took a photo which I sent as evidence of the position of my van.

I would be grateful if anyone can tell me whether I have a good case. Thank you

Continue to fight. They always turn down the first informal appeal, so there is no surprise so far.

IMHO you have a very good case.

Not true that they always turn down informal reps. (At least not mine! ;) ).

Forget any notion of paying "without prejudice" you simply cannot do that.

Further I would state the facts and say that without prejudice to your claim that you were not, for the purposes of the alleged contravention, "parked, you will be relying on the following from the legislation:

86Prohibition of parking at dropped footways etc.

(1)In a special enforcement area a vehicle must not be parked on the carriageway adjacent to a footway, cycle track or verge where—

(a)the footway, cycle track or verge has been lowered to meet the level of the carriageway for the purpose of—

(i)assisting pedestrians crossing the carriageway,

(ii)assisting cyclists entering or leaving the carriageway, or

(iii)assisting vehicles entering or leaving the carriageway across the footway, cycle track or verge; or

(b)the carriageway has, for a purpose within paragraph (a)(i) to (iii), been raised to meet the level of the footway, cycle track or verge.

This is subject to the following exceptions.

. . .

(6)The fifth exception is where

(a)the vehicle is being used in connection with any of the following—

(i)undertaking any building operation, demolition or excavation,

. . .

And see where that gets you.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

I think this is a great case - for bringing in public flogging of all these little spineless worm ****** parking halfwits. Little Hitlers that deserve all the abuse they get. Some people would suggest running them over next time. Of course I couldn't condone such action myself.

Please could somebody give me some advice? I was working on a building site in London, accessible by a narrow entrance up a dropped kerb. I parked legally on site all day, then when I was ready to leave I could not access my van's back door to load up. I drove out of the building site turned around in the road and started reversing through the narrow gap into the building site, back up the dropped kerb.

If you had to turn around and reverse in it meant you had to reverse out which meant your rear doors were not inaccessible when initially parked on site so its not surprising the Council didn't beleive you. As for a CEO issuing a PCN in the seconds it took whilst you checked the back of the van is ludicrous, for a start you could have used your mirrors and secondly it was obviously wide enough as you had only just reversed out?

Something doesnt ring entirely true here to me either, as GaM has mentioned...

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

"he said he was already writing it so had to finish"

a complete lie by the CEO. they all seem to tell this porkie.

"he said he was already writing it so had to finish"

a complete lie by the CEO. they all seem to tell this porkie.

Depends what he means. If he means he cannot cancel it once started then I think that is correct - he either has to serve it there and then or it will be a "drive away" and served later.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

he meant to hoodwink the driver. it happens all the time all over the place.

....and of course you know which Council this is and what operating procedures are given to CEOs? Most Councils do not permit CEOs to stop half way through, if the vehicle was contravening (which they considered it was or why would they issue) then there is no reason to stop is there? Once a PCN is started on a PDA it is not usually possible to cancel it without completing it and then voiding it at the office, driver returning is not a valid reason to void a PCN.

In what way was the driver hoodwinked. In the "old days" when drive-ways were valid it was true, but not now.

many councils don't issue Reg 10s. Also many many outsourced providers are measured on the number of cancelled PCNs, its a standard part of the KPIs in the contract.

Also many many outsourced providers are measured on the number of cancelled PCNs, its a standard part of the KPIs in the contract.

Exactly so why would they let CEOs cancel a PCN for no good reason other than the driver returned which is not a reason? You are arguing against your own original statement. If the driver drove away before service the contractor cannot be deemed responsible and would not be in any contract, however if the CEO just decides to let off the driver and void the ticket obviously he is at fault. I don't recall the OP stating anything other than that the CEO said he had started so he was going to continue writing it which is his perogative where is there a lie in that statement? He didn't as far as I can see tell the driver not to drive off or that it would even be sent in the post, just that he had no intention of cancelling it.

it was said to hoodwink the driver into staying to accept the PCN. it happens all the time.

it was said to hoodwink the driver into staying to accept the PCN. it happens all the time.

Since you do not know if they use reg 10 PCNs or not where this was issued its a pointless statement.

G&M you are being selective again.

"many councils don't issue Reg 10s. Also many many outsourced providers are measured on the number of cancelled PCNs, its a standard part of the KPIs in the contract."

they may well issue Reg 10s - or they may not. You don't know either ! So account for all the possibilities.

And remember the KPIs.

CEOs are under all kinds of pressure to issue tickets. you work for a council so you know this (whether you admit it or not).