Parking Fine - Services M25

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4941 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi hope some one can help me

I travelled from the north down to Brighton last week. To avoid the traffic on the M25 I travelled overnight and at about 3.00a.m. ish I pulled onto one of the service areas for a break and a nap.

Low and behold, I have received a letter this morning stating that basically I overstayed my welcome and that I was being fined for parking - if I paid immediately it would be £50 but if not then it would be £80.

I did not see any warning signs on the services at all and it really tee's me off that all the way down the blinking road it tells you not to drive when you tired to take a break - and then you get charged for the priviledge!

is this legal - am I liable?

the company say they have photographic evidence!

For a start, this is not a "fine", it's an invoice. You do not owe this company a penny. Do not contact them and ignore all correspondence from them. For further reassurance, please read the other threads on here that deal with private parking tickets. I agree with you about the double standards of being told to take a rest and then being hounded for taking that advice.

As for "photographic evidence". all they have is a picture of a car. I doubt very much that they can prove who was driving that car. Especially as they don't have a database holding the images of everyone who lives in this country.

Its a money making [problem] whilst people are unaware of where they stand legally. The PPC is using trickery i.e. making the invoice look like an official council PCN to try to fool you.

Even if the photograph did identify you as the driver then there are still defenses especially as they can only sue for loss of revenue which in a free car park is not worth their while

All those signs down the motorways warning everyone to take a break but if you and use common sense you get an invoice - have to wonder if the PPC's are behind the matrix sign warnings ?

EXpect several more invoices from the PPC follwed by a couple from a debt collector (powerless sad people) with threats of higher charges and credit reference agencies - in reality they cannot do anything followed by the solicitors letters which are just as meaningless

Ignore works well

Interesting reading these threads on motorway services as I was curious about the sign at Winchester Services where the CP Plus sign says they will issue a 'parking charge notice' . From my understanding of reading threads on here I thought they couldn't do that.

They can call it that. What that can't call it is "penalty charge notice". That term can only be used by official bodies, such as a council.

But note the same initials. Some people might say that's not a coincidence and is designed to fool motorists into thinking that these charges from private parking companies are somehow legitimate.

It's just an unenforceable invoice.

Contractually, how can they charge for parking (a 'Parking Charge Notice') when they aren't offering parking after a certain time?

Contractual nonsense like this is why these scamsters stick to letters and steer clear of taking people to court.

I have read thru the threads as was suggested and I find I'm not the only one they think has got 'mug' printed on my forehead!

Talk about making money off the backs of others!

I have no intention of sending them anything

thank you all