Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • what rights of access do you have on your agreement with the landlord?   i suspect you shouldn't have to pay a thing.
    • then there is your proof to them why would you pay for BB twice!!   for my notes: GENERAL NOTES ON CHARGEBACK & Continuous Payment Authority & BACS   .....  We have been telling people to put a letter into their bank instructing them  not to make any payments under any circumstances to these companies  . http://whatconsumer.co.uk/visa-debit-chargeback/- it works! usually this should be done using the number on your debit card  .  banks MUST follow written intructions from their customers ! . CANCELLING YOUR DEBIT CARD DOES NOT STOP CPA'S  .  This fsa guide has now been updated:  . http://www.fsa.gov.uk/static/pubs/consumer_info/know_your_rights_guide.pdf http://www.fca.org.uk/news/continuous-payment-authorities-your-right-to-cancel https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/unauthorised-payments-account  .  Here's the text:  .  Cancelling a regular  card payment:  .  When you give your credit or debit card details to a company and authorise them to take regular payments from your account,   such as for a gym membership or magazine subscription,  it is known as a ‘recurring transaction’ or ‘continuous payment authority’.  . These are often confused with direct debits, but do not offer the same guarantee if the amount or date of the payment changes.  .  In most cases, regular payments can be cancelled by telling the company taking the payments.   .  However,   you have the right to cancel them directly with your bank or card issuer by telling it that you have stopped permission for the payments.   Your bank or card issuer must then stop them – it has no right to insist that you agree this first with the company taking the payments.  .  Be aware, though, that you will still be responsible for paying any money that you owe. and that CANCELLING YOUR CARD WILL NOT STOP THE CPA  .  ..  .  New june 2013  .  Regulator orders Banks and mutuals to review complaints about not cancelling recurring payments from November 2009.  .  Consumers who have set up a regular payment from their account will now be able to successfully cancel that arrangement   by contacting their card provider, the Financial Conduct Authority said.  .  The FCA has been examining how easy it is for customers to cancel Continuous Payment Authorities (CPAs)   due either to payday lendersicon or for other regular payments such as subscriptions or gymicon memberships.  .  CPAs, which are also commonly called recurring transactions or recurring payments,   are relatively easy to set up but can be hard to cancel, causing problems for consumers trying to manage their finances,the FCA said.  .  Now, following the FCA review of how the largest high street banks and mutuals process requests to cancel CPAs, they have agreed that they will ensure that when   a customer asks for a recurring payment to end, that will be sufficient to cancel the arrangement. They have also confirmed that should a payment go through by   mistake following cancellation by a customer the customer will be refunded immediately.  .  In addition to securing this commitment, the largest banks and mutuals have agreed to review every individual complaint they have received about the non-  cancellation of a CPA and to pay redress where payments have continued to be made despite the customer cancelling the arrangement. This applies to all complaints   since November 2009 when the Financial Services Authority, the FCA’s predecessor, began regulating banking conduct.  .  Clive Adamson, the FCA’s director of supervision, said: “It’s important that consumers are confident that banks are meeting their everyday banking needs. Today   customers can be confident that when they ask for a Continuous Payment Authority to be cancelled – it will be cancelled - and that it can be done easily.   . “We recognise that historically this is an area where some customers have struggled but the banks and mutuals have responded positively to our work on this issue.   From now on we expect them to be getting this right. In addition, they have committed to review past complaints.” .  .  Also mentioned your displeasure that as whomever took your money had obviously attempted this many times   probably activating your banks own anti fraud software - nobody had the decency to inform my you this was going on.? .  .In the FSA's own words:  .  ..  What should I do about a payment from my account that I didn’t authorise?  .  Your bank must refund an unauthorised transaction.   Money can only be taken from your account if you have authorised the transaction   or if your bank can prove you were at fault –  . see below.  Contact your bank immediately if you notice an unauthorised payment from your account. .  If you are sure you did not authorise the payment, you can claim a refund.  .  However, your bank does not have to refund you if you do not tell it about the payment until 13 months  or more after the date it left your account.  .  Your bank must refund an unauthorised transaction  .  ------------------  .  Your bank may only refuse a refund for an unauthorised transaction if:  .  ? it can prove you authorised the transaction  – though your bank cannot simply say that use of your password,   card and PIN proves you authorised a payment; or .  ? it can prove you are at fault because you acted fraudulently,   or because you deliberately,   or with gross negligence, failed to protect the details of your card, PIN or password in a way that allowed the transaction  .  -----------------------  .  How quickly must my bank refund me for an unauthorised transaction?  .  The bank must make the refund immediately unless it has evidence that one of the above reasons applies.   Your bank may ask you to answer some questions and fill out a form confirming what has happened,   but it cannot delay your refund while it waits for you to return the form.  If the bank has evidence that one of the above reasons for refusing a refund applies,   it may investigate before making a refund   but must look into it as quickly as possible.   If your bank rejects your claim for a refund it should explain why.  If the transaction was on a credit card, the refund may not happen immediately.   But the card issuer cannot charge interest or ask for repayment of the amount unless it can prove you are liable to pay        
    • Only asking because I want to get my facts right before I approach the bank! Yes, BT is coming out of the same account.
    • not if they want to make the OP the named claimant no!! let them take the other party to court themselves!! the op can be a witness then..   one bitten...read this thread..      
  • Our picks

    • Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.
      I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.
      I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.
      No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.
      The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.
      They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.
      They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.
      I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?
      Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3593 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Okay to cut a long story short.

I have been working in my current company for 8 years and have been in my current role for 3 years.


Over the last 5 months my manager has become very dismissive of the things i do,

Im very good at my job and im highly thought of by alot of the staff,

I do have a tendancy to always speak my mind and it does not always go down well :-x


any way the releationship between my self and my manager has been going down hill for a while now.

This morning i had crossed words with another member of staff, they aproached me with a problem and when i sorted it they just wanted to argue about it , saying it was not a resonable solution.


Any way i decided to see my manager and explain the situation to them, he told me that he heard me and that i "should stop having ago at staff"

Well i asked him to explain him self and give me an example? the reply was well "you did it just then"

his tone was very agressive and the body language said it all, in the end we ended up arguing over it as i said he should not take sides and should get the facts first before acusing me.


I left his office to cool down and he followed me in to the main office and contined to argue in front of all the staff, in the end i walked off.


Later in the afternoon i had to see him about work again, he said to me that we need to talk " formaly or informaly it was my desition"

i told him i dont really care i was just sick of him being on my case and harassing me.

To that he kicked off again, i told him i was not arguing again and walked out.

He followed me back to my desk and started demanding "i am you manager get back in there now" i asked him 6 times to leave me alone as i did not want to argue and wanted to calm down, he refused and we argued again.


just before i left i was informed he was raising an offical disaplinary against me for conduct.


Now is it possible for a manager who is part of a dispute to raise a disaplinary?

To me this is an abuse of power and the fact he consantly refused to leave me alone and harrased me when i tried to walk away.

I feel that being the one blamed when he is clearly just as much to blame if not more so is highly unfair.


thanks for reading such a long thread .

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't see you have much of a leg to stand on. If he has superiority over you, which is apparent from what you say, then he has the right to direct you at work. He has a duty to ensure that company policy is enacted and if he thnks you have broken that then he is in his right to raise a diciplinary hearing.


if you think that he has abused his power then you have the option to raise a grievance and for the matter to be investigated by even more senior managers. I have to say that complaining about senior management normally does not go well for the complainer.


Sounds like a toxic environment to work in.


ACAS can give you more specific advice and you can give more detail to them for a clearer picture to come out.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and thank you for joining the forum. Sorry to hear about your hassle.


Sadly in my experience of working life, saying exactly what you think, especially to higher management never gets you any thanks and can end up with this sort of problem.


Papasmurf has given you some good advice. I also think it could be an idea to lower your profile a little because of this disciplinary, or you will just be confirming what the manager's complaint is. As said, if you file a grievance of your own, it should go to an independent manager, but you will need evidence to back up what you're claiming, not just your version of events. Do you have anything in writing about all this?


I'm sure others will have ideas for you - sidewinder is very good at how to look contrite at a disciplinary, but I'd say the approach could be that in the heat of the moment you made an error of judgement, that you can see it's not the way to behave and that you're approaching things differently now. [if you can buy into that.]


Remember that a breakdown of trust between you, caused by your behaviour, could be a reason for the company taking this further. I'm sure you are good at your job, but employers very rarely think anyone is indispensible.


Sorry. I always try to side with a fellow cagger when I can, but we're here to speak the truth too.


HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. You probably aren't going to like this, but it sounds a bit like six of one and half a dozen of the other. So you "always speak your mind at work"? Well, it would appear that your manager is also "speaking his mind" - he would like you to adopt a different attitude towards your work colleagues, and stop talking back to him when he directs you in your work or behaviour at work; and if you do not do so he is going to make the matter formal - which he has every right to do as your manager. This is not a "dispute" - you have been asked to amend the way that you are behaving towards others and you do not appear to have indicated that you will take it on board, so you have ended up arguing with your boss.


This isn't about taking one side or another - it is about the realities of work. As honeybee says, no matter how long you have been there and no matter how good you are at your job, nobody is indispensible. There are always two sides to every story, and if the relationship with your manager is going downhill, then it is equally up to you to look at what you can do to improve matters, and what you might be contributing to the story. No matter how you view it, there are other interpretations that can be put on this - and will be if you don't make an effort to resolve this. It takes two to tango, and walking out on your manager is never a good idea.


I am a barrister specialising in employment law, and only represent employees. My advice on employment issues is advice - not legal opinion - and is based only on the facts you provide. If you want an accurate assessment of your case and prospects, you should get legal opinion from a lawyer - not a public forum. Anything I tell you is for guidance only, and is based on my experience of the law in the context of what details you provide.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

And I'll tell you something else - if this guy is really harassing you and wanting to deliberately prod you until you snap (because he has observed you and knows what you are like) then if you bite your tongue, take a deep breath, and NEVER under any circumstances retaliate - oh boy will you make him hopping mad when he cannot get a reaction.


If you ever feel the need to get away because he is making you angry, then say "please excuse me, I need to take a break from this as I have no wish for us to clash again" then go and calm down. And ensure other members of staff hear your reasonable way of dealing with a heated situation.


On the other hand, Have you thought he might actually feel threatened by you? Long serving popular member of staff versus newish manager. Think - every time he wants to make a change, is he having to think how you will react? Try and think outside the box - and its always well to keep your enemies close to you - just in case he turns out to be an enemy!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Best bet for now is to seek a meeting with the manager concerned and to offer to work together in harmony rather than to be fighting in different directions. Coolly and calmly explain what you believe to be the issue, and offer to accept whatever direction and constructive criticism is on offer in order to improve your relationship.


There is some good advice above, which I have to agree with. Whilst on the face of it you may feel that you have a case to raise a grievance for bullying, there might equally be an opinion on the employer's side that your effectiveness as a leader might be questionable. Directness and speaking your mind might well be honourable qualities in some respects, but so too are diplomacy, tact and the ability to act under presssure. Walking away from a manager and a seeming unwillingness to take criticism, however poorly this may have been directed, are not the best demonstration of your abilities.


An olive branch and an offer to wipe the slate and start again may be your wisest course of action at this stage.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.






If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Sidewinder. I knew you'd put it much better than I could.


Kistell, what do you think now?



Edited by honeybee13
Very sorry, wrong cagger name.

Illegitimi non carborundum




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...