Contents insurance claim advice please - stolen bicycle

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4934 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,This is my first post so please be gentle! I have tried to search the forums but couldn't find a similar query so here goes...My bf had his beloved bike stolen recently, it's the (equal??) biggest love of his life, both the cycling and building it up from scratch to his specification so it was totally unique and the culmination of a few years' work... however...He had the bike propped up in a shop doorway, fully inside but unlocked, and it was taken from behind him. He gave chase with some help from good samaritans but couldn't get it back and no sign since. We haven't yet started our claim but he has a crime number and has been assembling receipts etc. My question is - Do any of you have experience of claiming for an unlocked bicycle and do you think we stand a chance? We've never done it before, contents insurance is with Morethan and I was sure to include the extra payment to cover pushbikes off the property.Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.Moo

The Morethan policy requires cycles to be locked to fixed object when left unattended.

So for a successful claim you need to show that the cycle was not unattended. The Insurers will ask him how far he was away from the cycle and what he was doing.

It is possible that the Insurers could set up a cognitive interview to assess the claim. This is just to make sure the story about how the cycle was stolen holds together i.e. that the story makes sense. If he has any witnesses to what happened and this is helpful, this might also assist the Insurers.

• Haha 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Both,Many thanks for the welcome and your advice. I think you've cracked it - the point to argue is the "unattended" aspect, and an angle that we hadn't thought of before, in our distress! The interview is also something I hadn't heard of so I'll prime him, also there had been a possibility of getting hold of CCTV from the shop but if not then the manager will help I'm sure.We also have plenty of receipts, order confirmations etc regarding the type and value of her assembly at the time, along with photographs. Is there anything else I should think of before we go into battle (it shouldn't feel like that but I've heard too many horror stories lol!) ?Have a good evening all, I'm off to watch some Chilean miners and feel all warm and fuzzy inside xM

Just play it straight. Don't be tempted to make the story fit the terms of the policy. With cognitive interviews you are asked many questions and you have to answer them in a genuine way.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I completely agree. Remember that they have to prove it was genuinely unattended to risk not wanting to make the payment, as any legal costs from defending you pushing it would probably outweight the cost of paying the claim. If you tell even small lies they will use this to discredit the entire thing.

As unclebulgaria said - just play it straight and get as many witnesses as possible and from the sounds of it you should be fine.

Hi everyone,Thanks again for your thoughts - my plan for the weekend just gone was to assemble all our evidence and make a start on the claim - playing it straight of course, I'm not one for trying to test the boundaries with these types of things, plus I wouldn't want to wreck my credibility for the future.However - in an astonishing turn of events, his (very distinctive) baby was "handed in anonymously" not far from where it happened! Possibly someone tried to sell it on to someone who recognised it, so we have one very happy boy again.I was heartened to receive such good advice so quickly as there are plenty of people far worse off on here, on so thanks again for your advice, and don't take this the wrong way but we've thanked God / our lucky stars we didn't have to use it!All the best,Moo