Couple on JSA advice please?

Crossstitchamy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4943 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I'm on income based Jobseekers with my partner we only just signed on about 3 weeks ago.

I am thinking of getting into an online business, for example ebay.

As i am not able to mix with people, i get very flustered etc when i even go to the jobcentre, i can't even speak on the phone. I am a bag of nerves i dont want to have to go to the dr's about this as i will still have to go to the jobcentre whichever benefit i will claim.

I don't particularly want to go to the meetings on week 6-9. what are these meetings called?

I would like to know if i get off JSA will my partner still get the single rate allowance and will we get the same amount of housing benefit?

When i first start the online business i won't be getting much money so will probably won't be liable for tax as yet.

when i get into the online business after a while i want to be making up to about £200 a week if thats possible that is. which then will be liable for tax.

No i don't know what i will be selling yet LOL they will have to be something small like books or craft items.

I am quite good in selling items i don't want anymore so i guess that a business would work as well. ]

I know the disadvantage is that i won't be meeting people and make new friends.

as at the moment we will be moving into hopefully a 1 bedroom flat so dont know how much space will be there.

also will the jobcentre be able to help me financially into a business? I don't think they can really as i've only been on it for short time.

Any help would be appreciated thanks a lot.

Hi crossstitchamy,

I don't particularly want to go to the meetings on week 6-9. what are these meetings called?

These are called enhanced 13 week interviews. After you reach 13 weeks unemployment you have a meeting, they check your jobseekers agreement and do a jobsearch, discuss options, etc. Then, dependent on the jobcentre, the advisor and a few other things they will set up four or five more weekly meetings. This is meant to be a supportive measure but it doesn't help everyone.

I would like to know if i get off JSA will my partner still get the single rate allowance and will we get the same amount of housing benefit?

It sounds like you are in a joint claim (couple with no children) and you both sign on.

Is that right?

You aren't able to be removed from an income-based claim as you are still in the household and so you have to still be on the claim.

Housing benefit works differently here and will look at types of and amount of income in the household. Be warned, once you declare that you are going self-employed it is considered full-time and as a full-time partner you would both lose the JSA entitlement so be careful about making the jump before checking this.

also will the jobcentre be able to help me financially into a business?

That's probably a no because of the time you have been on JSA. There is a self employment credits system but I am not sure of the eligility rules of this. Ask someone at the jobcentre to look this up - there is an A-Z guidance which they have access to which provides information about the Self Employment Offer

Hope this helps.

Hiya insyder, thanks for the answers.

we're claiming as a couple living together,we're not married.

what if i just work for the same amount a single person would get off jsa? i know then i won't be liable for tax credits either. and we will be still on low income.

so what if i ended up working in shop and my partner didn't get a job?this worries me as most shops you have to work a month in hand.

will he be getting income based JSA? if not then i'm worried about paying rent etc.

thanks again.

what if i just work for the same amount a single person would get off jsa? i know then i won't be liable for tax credits either. and we will be still on low income.

As a couple you are allowed a disregard of £10 - which means that anything you earn after £10 is taken pound for pound. Providing you don't earn the same or more than the couple rate plus the £10 (£112.75) you would stay on JSA and be better off by £10.

so what if i ended up working in shop and my partner didn't get a job?this worries me as most shops you have to work a month in hand. will he be getting income based JSA? if not then i'm worried about paying rent etc.

If you are working 24 hours or over then JSA would stop. This is the important bit, if you are working 30 hours a week or more then you could be entitled to Working Tax Credits but under 30 hours a week you would only be receiving the earnings. With housing benefit you would need to either request an appointment with a Jobcentre advisor to do a Better Off Calculation or contact the council independently. Housing Benefit and Council tax Benefit works on a sliding scale and is different in every case.

I would suggest the Better Off Calculation which is designed to give a good estimate of entitlement. You would need your housing benefit allowance and council tax band but all other info you will know. Whatever happens don't take the job until you have an estimate that you can take to the council - this would be of all income so if it's 30 hours plus you would need to contact Tax Credits to get an estimate from them beforehand.

It's complicated to write and easier to say.

Feel free to ask any questions.

hmmmm...sounds like a pain for people who dont want to be claiming JSA especially if out of a couple one does and the other doesn't want to claim anymore.

kind of stuck now i suppose, until as you said make a appointment for calculation. which i hate appointments at the jobcentre hence why i want to get off it LOL