• Tweets

• Same issues as - also spent ££ to have mechanical failures fixed will have a read
    • Debt charities have urged the Insolvency Service to develop stronger rules to protect customers from bad practice among IVA lead generators View the full article
    • Hi,     I'm in the process of voluntary termination of my moneybarn agreement, in accordance with secion 99(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I have returned the vehicle, it was collected by a 3rd party on behalf of MB, in driveable condition with fear wear and tear condition.  Their report states that the condition was "Average" (The options were Good, Average and Poor). I have paid more than 50% and recently, before starting the VT process spent £700 to make sure car is roadworthy (gearbox repairs). I am £880 over the 50% mark. Today I've received final billing letter estimating body repairs at over £1,300 (the bodywork is fine - peeling lacquer and alloy wheels would need refurb though). I've purchased the car at 7 years old with over 80k miles, through National Car Credit (pretty sure I've seen another topic on here about them). The car is now more than 10 years old, and I did take pictures + videos of the car before it was collected.   Now. I've had a payment holiday through April and May (which I don't dispute and will willingly cover the amount that they're asking for this payment holiday term) But however I'm not okay with covering the bodywork repairs for a car that is over 10 years old and wasn't excellent condition the day I've purchased it. It came with no service history book and only one key (on my own expense I've purchased another one and had it programmed)   No arrears on the account, no missed payments (just 2 month agreed payment holiday - between myself and MB) which I'm okay to cover. Given the car back in drive-able condition (it was very noisy the week before it was collected, hence why I've spent money on repairs) half of tank of petrol, kept tax up to the day it was collected.   Advice would be appreciated, thank you.   dx: I can't pm you as I haven't got enough posts on here, but if you'd like more details and see what has been sent and see the responses please PM me.     Thanks.
    • I am not a lawyer but I definitely think you are correct.   You will need evidence that Fast Track was not available on your way out - "Unknown reasons" sounds ominous. Do you have pictures/videos/written records to prove it?   Ryanair website states they are not responsible for you missing your flight as a result of fast track, but it doesn't say anything about not being responsible for the product they sold you not being available. Have you tried asking for a refund already?   Either way they sold you something that they did not provide - I don't see how this can be legal - and hopefully you should be able to prove it. Get written evidence that they refused to refund you (if you don't have it already) and take it straight to your card provider. (by many accounts it seems pointless to try and negotiate with Ryanair)
    • Hello everyone, recently I ordered 4 birds, 2 canaries and 2 lovebirds from a pet shop in Nottingham. When I received the birds, one of the canaries looked scruffy and had a bald spot on its back. when I asked the owner if this was normal he stated that “it is a baby and will be normal in a week” so I waited a week and I discovered it was sneezing throughout the night. I then decided to check their weight and the scruffy one was only 15 grams while the other was 26 grams. While weighing them I discovered they were covered in blood mites (small bugs that feed on blood) so I contacted him and he said I could return them but I’m unable to drive an hour to his shop so I offered to pay another delivery fee fr him to pick it up but he was ignoring me so I decided to try to treat them and bought many medicines and I cured their mute problem but now all 4 birds are sneezing, I’ve had many birds before and I’ve never had these problems so I asked him if he couldn’t please come pick them up but he kept reading my messages and ignoring me then when I called him he blocked my number so I messaged him on my other number laws showing te sale of an ill animal is prohibited and sent him proof of his false advertising (saying they were “excellent healthy birds”) proof fm their illness and he blocks me again. I feel scammed and according to the law he I is obligated to refund me for the birds and any medical expenses but I don’t know know where to report him or what to do about it. Any suggestions would  be greatly appreciated. Thank you 
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
Crossstitchamy

Couple on JSA advice please?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3591 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello, I'm on income based Jobseekers with my partner we only just signed on about 3 weeks ago.

I am thinking of getting into an online business, for example ebay.

As i am not able to mix with people, i get very flustered etc when i even go to the jobcentre, i can't even speak on the phone. I am a bag of nerves i dont want to have to go to the dr's about this as i will still have to go to the jobcentre whichever benefit i will claim.

I don't particularly want to go to the meetings on week 6-9. what are these meetings called?

I would like to know if i get off JSA will my partner still get the single rate allowance and will we get the same amount of housing benefit?

When i first start the online business i won't be getting much money so will probably won't be liable for tax as yet.

when i get into the online business after a while i want to be making up to about £200 a week if thats possible that is. which then will be liable for tax.

No i don't know what i will be selling yet LOL they will have to be something small like books or craft items.

I am quite good in selling items i don't want anymore so i guess that a business would work as well. ]

I know the disadvantage is that i won't be meeting people and make new friends.

as at the moment we will be moving into hopefully a 1 bedroom flat so dont know how much space will be there.

also will the jobcentre be able to help me financially into a business? I don't think they can really as i've only been on it for short time.

Any help would be appreciated thanks a lot.

Hi crossstitchamy,

I don't particularly want to go to the meetings on week 6-9. what are these meetings called?

These are called enhanced 13 week interviews. After you reach 13 weeks unemployment you have a meeting, they check your jobseekers agreement and do a jobsearch, discuss options, etc. Then, dependent on the jobcentre, the advisor and a few other things they will set up four or five more weekly meetings. This is meant to be a supportive measure but it doesn't help everyone.

I would like to know if i get off JSA will my partner still get the single rate allowance and will we get the same amount of housing benefit?

It sounds like you are in a joint claim (couple with no children) and you both sign on.

Is that right?

You aren't able to be removed from an income-based claim as you are still in the household and so you have to still be on the claim.

Housing benefit works differently here and will look at types of and amount of income in the household. Be warned, once you declare that you are going self-employed it is considered full-time and as a full-time partner you would both lose the JSA entitlement so be careful about making the jump before checking this.

also will the jobcentre be able to help me financially into a business?

That's probably a no because of the time you have been on JSA. There is a self employment credits system but I am not sure of the eligility rules of this. Ask someone at the jobcentre to look this up - there is an A-Z guidance which they have access to which provides information about the Self Employment Offer

Hope this helps.

Hiya insyder, thanks for the answers.

we're claiming as a couple living together,we're not married.

what if i just work for the same amount a single person would get off jsa? i know then i won't be liable for tax credits either. and we will be still on low income.

so what if i ended up working in shop and my partner didn't get a job?this worries me as most shops you have to work a month in hand.

will he be getting income based JSA? if not then i'm worried about paying rent etc.

thanks again.

what if i just work for the same amount a single person would get off jsa? i know then i won't be liable for tax credits either. and we will be still on low income.

As a couple you are allowed a disregard of £10 - which means that anything you earn after £10 is taken pound for pound. Providing you don't earn the same or more than the couple rate plus the £10 (£112.75) you would stay on JSA and be better off by £10.

so what if i ended up working in shop and my partner didn't get a job?this worries me as most shops you have to work a month in hand. will he be getting income based JSA? if not then i'm worried about paying rent etc.

If you are working 24 hours or over then JSA would stop. This is the important bit, if you are working 30 hours a week or more then you could be entitled to Working Tax Credits but under 30 hours a week you would only be receiving the earnings. With housing benefit you would need to either request an appointment with a Jobcentre advisor to do a Better Off Calculation or contact the council independently. Housing Benefit and Council tax Benefit works on a sliding scale and is different in every case.

I would suggest the Better Off Calculation which is designed to give a good estimate of entitlement. You would need your housing benefit allowance and council tax band but all other info you will know. Whatever happens don't take the job until you have an estimate that you can take to the council - this would be of all income so if it's 30 hours plus you would need to contact Tax Credits to get an estimate from them beforehand.

It's complicated to write and easier to say.

Feel free to ask any questions.

hmmmm...sounds like a pain for people who dont want to be claiming JSA especially if out of a couple one does and the other doesn't want to claim anymore.

kind of stuck now i suppose, until as you said make a appointment for calculation. which i hate appointments at the jobcentre hence why i want to get off it LOL