rafob

Advice plse on anti virus software

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3568 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I am currently running Avast anti virus (the free version) which has been great and very easy to use but it expires in the next few days and I keep getting a "prompt" from Avast warning me that my current version is "obsolete" and giving me 2 alternatives. Option 1 is to renew the "free" version or Option 2 is to pay what they say is half price of about £26 giving a much better level of protection.

As I'm unemployed and hard up I have to think long & hard before shelling out money and am wondering what to do.

Being a relative novice on these matters I'd appreciate any helpful advice from more experienced/savvy caggers. I have heard from a friend who was using "AVG" free anti virus but said it wasn't very good and if you look on Google the choice is mindboggling so if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd sure appreciate it!

Providing you are running a genuine microsoft windows, you can get Microsoft Security Essentials for free. Just put it into the "search the web" box at the top of this page, and you will find it :)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thanks for the advice!:-)

also depending upon what operating system you use you can also get windows defender for free.

I use both Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials at the same time with no problems at all. Double protection. Keep with Avast as it is still the most accredited free security at the moment. Just right click on the Avast icon on your toolbar on the bottom right of your screen and then follow the registration links. Each free licence lasts 12 months, but you can renew it each year. Also (if your Avast icon is blue) you can uninstall that one and go to the Avast website and download the latest version (which has an orange icon). Instead of going through your add/remove programs to uninstall the old version, just install CCleaner and click on Tools-Avast-Run Uninstaller. Ccleaner is also good for cleaning up your internet history, cookies etc.

Here's the links for both (free)

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner (download latest version)

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

I bought mine for my child's laptop but still get Viruses. They are all as bad as each other as Viruses are created to attack Microsoft systems. ESET NOD32 seem to work well for me.

I bought mine for my child's laptop but still get Viruses. They are all as bad as each other as Viruses are created to attack Microsoft systems. ESET NOD32 seem to work well for me.

I apologise for differing, but I have children that each have their own laptop. Any virus that enters their system has been their fault. (Hence the added security I have added myself on all of the laptops). All security can simply been turned off by simply ignoring a warning that something may be corrupt (there are also such things as false negatives though). I would advise more parental control and make sure that the children just have a basic account on the PC and you are the only administrator. That way, they cannot download anything whatsoever without your password.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

If kids are getting viruses on their PC there is a good chance they are looking at content you would not approve of. If they are illegally downloading, it will come down to your responsibility.

If you find viruses are an issue, run a Linux build for them. Viruses attack windows as 95% of all computers use windows, and people who run Linux are generally tech savvy so the virus creators don't bother with it. With Linux you can still brows the internet, and also play music and multimedia, gaming can be tough tho.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

If you are running orginal Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 3 or later version of Windows, you can use Microsoft Security Essentials for free. This is free for life time and its very good and effective.

Avast is free forever. All they want is that you re-copnfirm your email address each year.

Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html is free and is very good at clearing out spyware. Make sure that you get Spybot from the safer networking site. There are are other sites which masquerade as Spybot