A little help and advice please with eBay, PayPal and now Newman Debt Collection...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4876 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

Let me explain to you a problem I've experienced with ebay and paypal since June this year.

During June I sold 6 items on ebay which we're around £500 each, paypal then limited my account due to receiving a large amount of money in a relatively short period of time. I did everything they asked such as providing invoices, tracking numbers, receipts but my account remained limited. My paypal account has £1400 in which I am unable to withdraw until 180 days have passed (since June). Because of this, my ebay account became limited also (due to their relationship) so I have been unable to buy or sell anything since June and I was left owing just over £100 of ebay fees, which I duly left and ignored seeing as my main method of payment (paypal) was not accessible.

I've contacted the Financial Ombudsman to see if they could help but Paypal are sticking to their guns and are not going to give me access to my money. Out of anger I've simply left my ebay account to rot and have been receiving their customary 'your fees are long overdue' emails which I have ignored.

Today I received a letter from Newman Debt Collection asking me to pay them. I'm more bothered about my credit rating which should be excellent, and I don't really want it tarnishing.

Should I bite my lip and pay up, bearing in mind even after paying these damn fees my ebay account will still be suspended or ride out the storm until December when hopefully I will gain access to my £1400 in paypal's piggy bank and have both ebay and paypal suspensions lifted?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Many thanks and kind regards,

Jordan

I would expect that this has something to do with Money Laundrying. Have you contacted PayPal at all to enquire as to their reasons for this. Are you an established ebayer, over years, or are you a fairly new seller. I know they have some peculiar rulings. If you have access to your ebay account, try and go onto their Forums as there are alot of knowledgable people on there and they will more than likely be able to help.

With regard to Newmans, I would write back to them and tell them the situation and that they should apply to PayPal for the amount due.

I had problems with ebay over disputed charges they said i owed - there figures didnt tally with mine so i asked them to prove i owed.

After a while they just gave up - no entry in credit file - i dont think ebay report to them.

As in your case i would simply reply that they will get their money when you get yours.

I would contact them again and try to explain the situation. If your account is still frozen, they have to tell you why it is frozen...

You will find Ebay and Paypal are a law unto themselves. If you can ride out the storm, wait until you get your money and claim statutory interest from them ?

Thank you all.

My ebay account was created back in December 2003 and was used regularly clocking up over 100 positive feedback. Paypal don't tell me why it is frozen, they just say it is to protect its customers... I'm totally sick of the lot of them.

Just an update...

Just received a call from Newman's pretty much demanding me to confirm my address. I refused and the rude snotty cow on the other end basically said I wasn't complying with data protection laws - load of old twoddle I imagine. I think it's going to be easier all round if I just pay this damn 100 quid or whatever it is... guess I'll be getting regular calls from these idiots now..

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Pay them NOTHING, there is absolutely NOTHING any Muppet can do to you regarding PP or Ebay fees, don't speak to the inept newmans on the phone, whenever you realise it is them laugh and hang up, if you want to play a game of letter tennis you can simply send Newmans http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?428-General-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt

Which tells them to prove it.

Your complaint is with PP/Ebay, not this lot, tell them to clear orf.

It appears that they like to be illusive, and don't give out much info regarding contacting them for specific complaints, but I would still make a start and complain to them direct, and when they ignore you and fail to give you any information as to why this has happened, simply return the favour and ignore them back, I have NEVER heard of anyone being taken to court for Ebay/PP fees, simply because they get torn to shreds in court, for their pathetic T&C's.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/myinfo/complaints.html

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account/questions/account-suspended.html#why

Edited by Bazooka Boo

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks for the info! Would such debt (and I'm not denying I owe £100 of fees to ebay, which i would happily pay if they weren't complete morons along with paypal) have an impact on my credit rating at all? I will pay them what they're owed as soon as I'm given access to MY money sat in my locked down paypal account.

Not until such a point that they took you to court and won.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

It shouldn't, although who knows what goes their their tiny corrupt minds, keep an eye on your CRF if it is of a concern to you, but TBH I would exhaust PP/Ebay's complaints procedure first, IGNORE Nancy Newman's, for the time being, it has zero to do with them.

Simply tell Ebay what you have told here, that as soon as they reactivate the account, you will be able to pay their fees, if they don't then you will take legal advice, with a view to taking legal action to recover your money they have unlawfully frozen.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Where in Paypal's T&C's conditions does it say they can 'freeze' money for 180 days ?. I suspect this is fraud related instead of the usual 21 days hold that they often put on your account.

I have recently had a 21 day hold put on an amount received, i sent them the courier and tracking info. and they saids they required furtyher info., then I had a letter saying the money would be released than another saying it wouldn't.

I just wrote to them lots of times, informing them that i had complied with theit T&C's regarding relaesing the money early and told them it was totally unacceptable and lo and behold it was released.

i have used ebay and paypal for many years and suddenly they have become a pain, freezing 3 amounts in the last 2 months, for no good reason.

I like many other use ebay (and thus paypal) a lot but they both are becoming a real pain in the arse and i wish there were more alternatives.

Andy

I've had 3 payment froze in the last 2 months to.

Thankfully I have other ebay and paypal accounts in unreleated names so I switch to them when the need arises but it's still quite annoying when they freeze your money for no good reason other to line their pockets with intrest.

Where in Paypal's T&C's conditions does it say they can 'freeze' money for 180 days ?. I suspect this is fraud related instead of the usual 21 days hold that they often put on your account.

Unfortunately it is there,

"We may hold your funds for up to 180 Days if reasonably needed to protect against the risk of liability" under 10.2 H.

Seems like there's nothing I can do except wait out these 180 days...

Also, would Newman's be able to start adding interest to the money I owe them/ebay if I don't pay them immediately?

cheers

Unfortunately it is there,

"We may hold your funds for up to 180 Days if reasonably needed to protect against the risk of liability" under 10.2 H.

Seems like there's nothing I can do except wait out these 180 days...

Also, would Newman's be able to start adding interest to the money I owe them/ebay if I don't pay them immediately?

cheers

Nah..They cant add interest. As everyone knows they'll pester you heavily for a while then give up, I'm currently having fun with Iqor :)

Andy

Iqor, another bunch of hilarious bullies...

All I've had so far is a letter and lots of automated calls..... I..am..very...........tempted..to...phone..them...up..and..talk..like...a...robot..*beep*..does not compute

• 1 month later...

Hello, I have also started getting calls from Newman in regards Ebay fees. I did genuinely run up the fees. When I got the first call from Newman they told me I owe 60 plus 15 in fees(I hung up on them). I decided to pay the fees directly through Ebays site (60, fair enough I do owe that!).

I've now had 3 calls over the last few days saying that I owe this 15 fee to Newman and they are aware that I have paid the debt to Ebay but I have just refused to pay each time and they get fed up and put the phone down....

Am I in anyway obliged to pay this £15 fee that Newman have added? Any Advice?

In a word NO! Just laugh at them when they say you have to pay it, or offer to pay it with a christmas card, either way they are deluded if they think anyone would pay their unlawful fees..