Council tax issues..

deathbycrayons
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4911 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If the landlord is resident in the property then he is legally liable for the council tax and you would not be eligible for council tax benefit. It doesnt matter if he claims to be lodging, sub letting from you etc - as the resident owner he is liable in law.

ALSO - if we weren't eligible for housing benefit, would our income support or child tax credits be increased to make up the difference?

No

I'm not a benefits expert by any means, but do know a little bit (with emphasis on little!).

If you're paying rent then you are eligible to apply for HB. IIRC if you're in receipt of IS then you get full HB. If this is the case then you should get full HB for this new place. If part of your rent covers services I have a feeling that HB won't cover those, however.

With regards to CTB, I'm not sure. If you're lodging and paying some of the CT then I think you can claim benefit for that (with you rightly listed as a lodger at the LLs property, and not the other way around). There are certainly situations where one party in a house-share claims for benefits, and I'm sure they must be able to claim CTB as well as HB because they are liable for the CT.

You said in another thread that your partner called the council and they weren't much help. The Benefits dept are the ones to speak to - if they weren't the ones you called - as it would be them who calculate the benefit.

sev threads merged

dx

siteteam

please keep to one thread

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...