Thegoodgirl v First Direct - long story sorry!

thegoodgirl

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5620 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone.

When I first started thinking about making a claim for unfair bacnk charges last year, I took the advice on here and set up a parachute account with FD.

In the end, I got too busy - moved house, got married etc, and decided that I didn't have the time, or bottle to make the claims.

I took on a part time job to make some extra money for the wedding etc, and had this paid into the account, telling myself that I would not make use of the overdraft...famous last words.

Things got a bit out of hand and I ended up spending the money AND going into the overdraft (which had a limit of £500). After the wedding I got a new full time job with more money, so I gave up the part time one, and thus stopped paying into the First Direct one. By this time Christmas was upon us and money tight again so I thought it wouldn't hurt to wait until the new year to clear the OD.

Boy was I wrong. To cut a long story short. In the 3 months that I had not made any payments into the account, the charges from FD pushed it further over the OD limit to about - £700 (about £250 in charges). I then phoned FD as I was concerned about the state of the account and the charges, they said that they were also concerned and after a discussion with the helpful call centre person, we agreed that I could pay £100 into the account each month to get the OD paid off. Which was fine, I duly paid for 3 months, but then I forgot to pay one months, and received a letter telling me that I was misusing the account and that they were closing it with immediate effect and that I should pay the balance. Phoned and told them that I could not pay the balance, and again they agreed that I could continue with the repayments.

3 months on and I have now brought the account up to date. But have not received any affirmation as to whether they are definately closing the account. I would really like to keep the account as a parachute as originally intended.

Is it worth my begging them not to close it? The thing is, I would really like to claim for their charges, but I'm presuming that this will **** them off and risk them closing it anyway. So should I just put and shut up? Or move on and try applying for yet another account?

What a mess.

Guest Mumofthreeboys

I would have thought if they'd closed it you would know by now. Anyway, it doesn't make any difference if it's closed or not, you can still claim back the charges on a closed account.