Garage wont MOT car due to boot opening issue

MrShed
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4893 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Just a quick one.

Put my car in for its MOT this morning.

The boot of the car wont open from the outside, but will from the inside (manual release).

I have left the boot open when I left the car.

Garage are telling me that they wont MOT it in this condition, as boot needs to open from outside, and that they need to check suspension etc from in the boot.

Clearly, they can do the checks, as the boot has been left open, and my information on the MOT is that only the front doors need to open from outside the vehicle.

Clearly, I cannot force them to do the MOT (even though they are wrong not to do it). However, the MOT and service was paid for in advance (via the internet). Do I have a right to a full refund for both services should they refuse to perform the MOT (clearly I wont get the service done if they wont, I am awaiting a call back).

Thanks!

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Have you thought of contacting VOSA to see what their take is? Sounds to me that they are being arsey... as you say; as long as the boot can be opened then I don't see what the issue is. If they stand firm then ask them to re-fund the MOT part of the invoice... unless they can point out in the MOT regs where it states that the boot has to be able to be opened from the outside.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

From what I remember(I've not done mot's for a few years) the front doors have to open from inside and outside, all doors and boot lid have to close securly.

Yes access is needed to the boot to check suspension(and other items) also to the rear of the car if the rear doors don't open, I think this will come down to how it's opened from inside(manual release) if it's a standard opening then that's fine, if you have a certain way to open it then that could be the problem, leaving the car with the boot open is not acceptable in my view.

So the boot would have to be able to open in a resonable manner, if it doesn't then they are correct to refuse to test it, also if the test has been started they can charge the full fee, but have to give the failure.

• 2 weeks later...

Design time,

With respect, if you are going to bombard this forum and section with nonsense, try to get it right will you. It's Karman Ghia and all of their models could be opened externally even back to the early 60's.

It is 1971 Model

I bought it restored for about 12k but the guy that built it gave me 35k worth of bills over 3-4 year period.

I did not enjoy the car as it was slammed to the floor, hard ride no power steering etc. I was so scared to leave it anywhere.

The funny thing is the final straw was, I kept it in a garage for two years and only drove it a handful of times and one time I went to start it the battery had gone flat and I could not get in the boot as it had no exterior boot or door handles at all! From memory I went in through the roof!

It was a stunning Car and it made all the VW mags around 2002.

Edited by DesignTime

• 2 weeks later...

Boot on the Fiat X/19 also could only be opened from a lever inside the cabin.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Hi - they did eventually MOT it, they stuck a cable tie around the manual release and hung it out of the back for the MOT period!

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!