Microsoft names and shames software pirate companies

Conniff
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4941 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I thought this might be of interest to anyone thinking of buying a new computer. Just be careful, the software might be illegal and may not activate.

Microsoft announced settlements with computer retailers caught selling illegal software to unsuspecting customers across the UK. The software supplier is urging customers to be vigilant when it comes to buying computer programs, advising that it often pays to make a few simple checks before handing over their hard-earned cash or company credit card.

The traders all faced court action and admitted to selling illegal software and hard disk loading. Microsoft is committed to educating traders as well as end users, and encouragingly all the retailers involved have now agreed to work closely with the software company to ensure they stop selling unlicensed programs.

• Computer Clinic, Bolton
  • Eazy PC, Redcar

• Matrix Computers, Stockton-on-Tees

• Personal Touch Computers Ltd, Portsmouth

• Spacebar Computers, Litherland, Liverpool

• Computer Port, Walsall

• Goldcast Computers, Stockton-on-Tees

• PC Assist, Oldham

• Platinum Computers, Hartlepool

• The Little Computer Shop, Griffithstown, Pontypool

• 1Hr Computers, Denton, Manchester

• Annecto Computers Ltd, Droylsden, Manchester

• Boss Systems, Duns, Berwickshire

• Charisma Computers, Manchester

• Computer Warehouse (Manchester) Ltd, Manchester

• Comp-u-Tel, Thatcham, Berkshire

• Hi-Tec, Cheadle, Cheshire

• ICN Computers Ltd, Newbury, Berkshire

• Intellect Computers (Whitefield) Ltd, Whitefield, Manchester

• PWRTech Ltd, Newbury, Berkshire

• Swift Computers, Wellington, Shropshire

• Unique Computers (UK) Ltd, Leicester

• Abbey Computing, Sherborne, Dorset

• Aston IT Services Ltd, Swallownest, Sheffield

• Citrus Computers, Torquay, Devon

• Computer Bits, Harlow, Essex

• Computer Hypermarket, Exeter, Devon

• Discount Computers (South West) Ltd, Chippenham, Wiltshire

• Informatica 2000 Ltd, Bedford, Bedfordshire

• IT Collective Ltd, Stone, Staffordshire

• Lichfield Computer Centre Ltd, Lichfield, Staffordshire

• SPC Computers Ltd, Plymouth, Devon

• Supercheap aka Coolputer, Nottingham, trading on ebid

• Technique786, Newcastle Upon Tyne, trading on ebay

• The Computer Cellar (Albany UK Ltd), Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

• Valatech, Bromborough, Merseyside.

Trading Standards Institute backs effort to protect consumers

Microsoft’s aim to protect consumers from the dangers of illegal software, ensuring that they’re buying genuine Microsoft products is supported by the Trading Standards Institute.

As Bryan Lewin, Lead Officer with the Trading Standards Institute commented: "Trading Standards Departments take the issue of rogue trading very seriously. Ridding the channel of piracy is more important now than ever as it impacts everyone from the unwitting consumer to the hard-working, family owned computer shop selling genuine software. Times are hard for many small businesses without the added strain of having to compete on an uneven footing."

It might just turn out that computer wasn't so cheap after all.

All data from Microsoft Press Centre.

Edited by Conniff

An interesting read, from an article which must be well over a year old, probably more like 2... As someone else who has inside knowledge of this, all I can say is don't believe everything you read...

Are you saying that it is 'untrue' ??

Are you saying that it is 'untrue' ??

That would depend on your definition of 'untrue'. Of all the cases listed above, how many prosecutions occurred? Of the cases listed, how many were trading standards actually involved? The answers aren't as obvious as you may think...

Let me give you a scenario. Someone walks into a shop and asks for a price on a new PC. When they're given the price, they say "Well, xxx round the corner will do the same machine for £xxx with an unregistered copy of 'some software', and yyy are even cheaper. Will you do the same, or I'm sending my business to them"

Then a month later, a letter arrives "You've been supplying unlicensed copies of our software. Please pay us £6000 or we'll take this to court and insist on personally auditing you accounts for the past 5 years and demanding payment on every PC you've sold in that time."

If this was another country, I'm sure the words "entrapment" or even "Blackmail" would spring to mind, but who is going to argue with one of the largest companies in the world?

I didn't say that the press release was 'untrue', but to make it appear the end user is "unwitting" - certainly in the events I'm aware of is a downright lie.