Deb T

LLU and how do I get a Service Provider interested in moving into my exchange

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3585 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

My local BT exchange has had BT as the sole service provider since the creation of time, in fact i had resigned myself to always being at the mercy of BT as my broadband provider.

I do not like BT as a broadband provider, they promise you the earth, they give you a discount here and there, they bombard you with a gazillion and one calls shortly before your contract term is up offering all sorts of incentives to get me to stay.

Last year in April I renewed with them for what is now to be the last time as in they promised everything if i were to renew but as is usual with them the very second I take out the contract with them they become impossible to contact with an 'issue' or at least contacting a UK call centre, the ones based in India have zero competence when dealing with an issue, in all the times (frustrating ones at that) when dealing with BT overseas call centres not once have they provided a satisfactory response to my query and not once have they resolved an issue.

So April last year I renewed (grudgingly) and the first bill came in with all kinds of discounts and additions and of course when I reached for the phone to speak with them I got the overseas call centres and nothing was resolved. I made a pact then to never renew with BT and although I'm now paying through the teeth for not renewing (since April 2010) I'm so bloomin glad I'm out of contract with them.

Signing up with another service provider has never been an option because bt are the only one in my exchange so essentially I would have to pay another service provider a premium because they have to use bt at the exchange.

But, things look to be changing, a recent check on Samknows shows me that there is now LLU on my exchange and at least one service provider (talktalk) now have some of their own equipment in the exchange...fanbloomintastic. However, I am not a a fan of talktalk and am waiting until either SKY or 02 become part of my exchange at which point I will sign with one of those...

My question is, how do I get other Service Providers such as those mentioned , to look at my exchange and perhaps put some of their own equipment in. There are only 3200 residential homes and just under 100 business premises registered on my exchange with the average number of users in an exchange that sky have shipped into being around 15,000 residences.

Do I send out a flyer, do I contact SKY / 02 and if so how do I go about it and other such methods? Ok, it might be some time before they're in the exchange but I can wait. I currently pay BT £18 for 10gb bandwidth, no tv and of course there is the line rental....My parents have SKY broadband for free simply because they have a sky package at £19 per month for the basic channels and they get 40gb bandwidth if they were to pay just £5 extra for the bandwidth etc.

I'm just happy BT are no longer the only supplier in my local exchange.

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

Hi Deb

I would stick with the BT landline and go for O2 Broadband. Thats what I plan to do. Talktalk are exactly that, they do a lot of talking. I think they will just ignore you,

it will be a waste of effort. It will be rolled out in time.

You can also get cash back on the 02 Broadband.

You could try Plusnet, they use a BT line and are very good. Haven't had any issues with them since joining a couple of months ago. You get an 'all in one' modem/router which is very good. They have faster download speeds than VirginMedia for peak times (I've tested both downloading the same film on the same model/spec laptops at the same time and Plusnet won hands down, this was over eight different days over a two week period.)

I'd avoid plusnet - they're owned by BT. There are a lot of reports in plusnet's own forums of poor customer service lately.

O2 are probably best avoided as well, unless their LLU service is available. O2 Access (the non-LLU service) is known to be overloaded.

Personally,I'd look at someone like idnet, Andrews & Arnold, or Zen. They are slightly more than BT/Plusnet, but don't throttle various services, eg Iplayer, youtube on Plusnet.

Hi Deb

I would stick with the BT landline and go for O2 Broadband. Thats what I plan to do. Talktalk are exactly that, they do a lot of talking. I think they will just ignore you,

it will be a waste of effort. It will be rolled out in time.

You can also get cash back on the 02 Broadband.

Why stick with BT for the landline? O2 will do better deals for landline and BB. If going to drop BT best to drop everything they have ;)