Consequences of a cancelled internet and phone service

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3951 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have been with an internet providor for about 7 months now and for the last 2 months i havent paid any of my bills because i have been struggling financially, i have been getting calls non stop from my internet providor and sometimes i have made fake promises of when i would pay them, i am in a really difficult situation at the moment where i am struggling to buy food for my self.

A few days ago i noticed an email where it states my providor has cancelled my services which includes the broadband and phone line, now i am aware i will have to pay the cancellation charges including all the other charges if the contract is cancelled early.

I am not sure how this will affect in the long room and on my property, will they place some kind of hold on my line at the property so i cannot get any internet providor or would it be possible to get another providor in the future? can someone explain the consequences of what i have done by not paying my bills and having my contract cancelled.

I am currently sorting all my debts out and i am in the process of getting help just a little worried when i am sorted out financially how this cancellation will affect my property and getting a new internet and phone providor

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I was with plusnet but they cancelled the services back in december 2010 sent me letters with all the termination charges, they still hold the telephone line and have blocked all outgoing calls but they havent blocked incomming calls, the weird thing is they are not billing me. Do you think i would be able to go with another providor for the broadband and homephone line rental? there are no tags on the line from what plusnet have told me. i am thinking of going on a monthly contract rather than a 12 month so if i do have any problems i can cancel anytime.

theres no reason why u cant but u will need to ring plusnet tio get ur mac code anyway , but saying that , when plusnet told me that they were cancelling my line, i tried to go somewhere else but apparently they blocked that company from taking over that line , im not sure if thats legal or not :(

The only people that do a monthly contract are..... PlusNet :(

If there is no broadband or tag on the line, then there is no reason to get a MAC. MAC = Migration Authorization Code, as there is no broadband currently, you cannot "migrate".

Now, are you claiming one of these benefits?

• Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Employment Support Allowance (Income related) or
  • Pensions Credit (Guaranteed Credit)

If so, you may qualify for BT Basic. This is a low cost landline (£13.80 for 3 months! Thats under a fiver a month!) It includes £4.50 to spend on calls (thats only £1.50 per month, so you cannot over-use your landline! Call costs are expensive after you used your initial allowance so be warned!)

You can then get broadband on this line. If you have an Orange or o2 mobile, they both do a cheap home broadband, so that is worth a look. If not, PlusNet are the cheapest.

Now, the only other way I can think of getting a low cost internet package is using a mobile broadband dongle. These have VERY low usage limits, so if you just use it for emails and a little surfing, and maybe playing the odd online game, they do work out cost effective. How I'd go about doing this it I'd buy an unlocked dongle from an auction site (such as ebay) and then get a PAYG sim from 3, vodafone, o2, t-mobile and Orange. (they will all give you a free one from their websites) Then see which of these sim's gives you the best speed, then if 2 or 3 give good enough speed, look into which offer the best package.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on :)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Hi thanks for the reply. Where i live it is complicated i cant get all the offers companys advertise on there websites i can only get access services which are at higher prices for example to get 02's home phone and broadband i have been quoted £35 a month plus £25 activation fee. There is no tag on my line which plusnet have confirmed but they do have my home phone line, this was a new property which was built in may last year and i went with plusnet who installed a new line as there was not one there. That is my only concern will plusnet refuse to hand over the line to another company?

Also i have found various companies who offer monthly contracts at reasonable prices in my opinion, due to where i live and the exchange which has not been updated utility warehouse are offering unlimited internet with home line rental for £35 a month no activation fee and a £10 termination fee if i leave within the first 12 months, although i have read reviews about utility warehouse most of which are not good so if anyone has any experience with the company please share your view.

Freeola, EFH broadband, falcon net, idnet, new net all do monthly contracts but they charge activation fees if you are not migrating, if you are migrating activation is free, and most of the companies charge termination fees ranging between £25 to £50 if you leave within the first 12 months.

Im still looking for a better deal so if anyone knows of any good monthly contract deals for broadband and home phone please let me know