Tiscali (now TalkTalk)/Fredrickson Int'l Ltd/Roxburghe

Guest ukdeejay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4247 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest ukdeejay

I cancelled my account for telephone & internet service with Tiscali in August 2008, when moving home.

Two months later, in October 2008, I noticed that Tiscali were still taking Direct Debit payments, so I cancelled the DD (I believe that 2 months is long enough for Tiscali to have collected any outstanding payments for their services). I believe Tiscali 'forgot' to cancel my account, which is why I did not receive a cancellation confirmation letter from them until October 2008.

I chased Tiscali for the excess charges they had taken from my account after cancellation (£20.49) & in December 2008 Tiscali paid back the above sum, less the cost of call charges (£0.18) made after the cancellation date in August 2008 (fair enough), making a payment of £20.31 to me.

In March 2009 I received a demand from Fredrickson International Ltd, for £20.49. After several phone calls with both FIL & Tiscali, explaining that I could not owe Tiscali any money as they had admitted taking excess charges by DD & had refunded me the charges taken 'in error', by cheque in December 2008. Fredrickson asked me to send them the documentation showing Tiscali's error & refund, which I did in April 2009.

I have heard nothing since, until receiving a message from my old address today, saying that they had opened a letter addressed to me by mistake. The letter was from ROXBURGHE D/C's & was regarding the same alleged debt, which they now put at £43.99. (dream on)

I have emailed Roxburghe, 'suggesting' that they might like to contact FIL who should have all the documentation I sent to them in April 2009, & from whom I have not heard a word since then!

It may be a coincidence, but both FIL & Roxburghe have 'KT** ***' postcodes, which could explain why that part of Surrey has such over-inflated house prices, if it is a fraudsters 'hot-spot'?!

Guest Cartaphilus
The letter was from ROXBURGHE D/C's & was regarding the same alleged debt, which they now put at £43.99. (dream on)
Fees, no doubt. Which, if so, you don't owe anyway.

You could, I suppose, to keep a paper trail for use later on (if necessary) send them this letter:

General debt letter - if you know nothing of the debt...

A letter used when a debt collection agency contacts you about an unknown debt.

Name/Address:

Date:

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. AND in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

If you can, just ignore them, they are wasting time, money and trees!

Every journey begins with a single step :):)

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.

If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You

The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA

Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.

Guest Cartaphilus

And you can also do that as well which I was rather remiss in mentioning. I suppose.

Make sure they’re not trashing your credit record – Rox are a bunch of slimeballs who stoop very low.

“The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” Andrew Mackinley MP, House of Commons, 22 April 2009

If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

Guest ukdeejay

Thanks to Cartaphilus/harrassed senior/DonkeyB for your replies & advice -

Cartaphilus - I'll bear your letter in mind. So far, in order to not give these scumbags my current postal address 'on a plate' - I'm sure they can find it if they REALLY want it - I have responded to the Roxburghe threatening letter by email only.

harrassed senior - It is not in my nature to ignore such threats. As the saying goes, 'the pen (or keyboard!) is mightier than the sword', & I have sent a scathing email in response to the letter. We'll see what their response is in the coming days.(watch this space) I'll keep you up-to-date on proceedings.

* It would be great if there were any 'legal eagles' on this forum who could give advice, although you guys all seem to be quite au fait with consumer rights, so thanks for that.

DonkeyB - I have thought of that & will keep a close eye on it. If it is affected I may come back to you guys to find out what I can do about it, & how.

Thanks again.

Guest Cartaphilus
Cartaphilus - I'll bear your letter in mind. So far, in order to not give these scumbags my current postal address 'on a plate' - I'm sure they can find it if they REALLY want it - I have responded to the Roxburghe threatening letter by email only.

It's not my letter, but it's a quite well known letter (variants of) that has been issued by TV shows such as Watchdog - yes, the consumer complaints programme - several times to viewers last year facing the exact same situation you are right now with Tiscali and Fredrickson from viewers in the same position as yourself.

It's up to you, but it's a process of logical elimination involved here: do you owe this debt or not? Yes/No? If the answer is 'no' then ignore it. They've written to you after a substantial time limit, and to a prior address about it ... with an amount you don't recognize. If you are happy to contact them, pay them, that is up to you. Most would be thinking a little before doing so.