rosered22

What is likely to happen if I don't pay?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3589 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I bought a web-domain from provider 1and1 a couple of years ago and decided I wanted to cancel it just before I was due to pay for it again this year.

The website said you can just cancel your direct debit with your bank but please email and let us know that you are doing so, which I did.

I got an email back from them saying I needed to contact the billing department to cancel, but I didn't think I needed to having canceled the direct debit, so I just forgot about it.

I just had an email back from them saying my direct debit was declined and I now have an outstanding balance.

I got in touch with the billing department and have now made sure my account is closed, but they said I will still need to pay the balance.

It's not that much money and I could just pay and get it out the way...but I'm reluctant to pay because I did inform them that I wanted to cancel before the direct debit was due, and they do have that email on file.

What is likely to happen if I don't pay? Will they keep chasing it and do they have a case? Could it affect my credit rating or have any lasting effects?

Thanks for your help!

Why have they said you still have to pay? Are they saying they didn't get your email? If you've complied with the terms and conditions on the website (might be worth getting a screen shot as proof) then why would you pay money you don't owe?

They may keep chasing you, but if it's not a particularly large amount there will come a point where it's not worth their while to continue. I wouldn't have thought it would affect your credit rating.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

p.s I did write to them by email, not letter....I don't know if that makes a difference?

Hi reallymadwoman...thanks for your help!

They said that they do have the email on file, but that they are unable to cancel accounts by email and that I should have read and complied with their email back to me which told me the proper route to cancel the account fully.

Not had a proper look at the terms and conditions but they on their billing page they have the Direct Debit guarantee which says:

'You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by writing to your Bank or Building Society. Please also send a copy of your letter to us.'

I was just following that...but I don't know if an email has the same weight as a letter in this case?

In law an email is seen in exactly the same way as if you sent it by snail mail. If they have stated in their terms that you must cancel in writing and you did so by email you have fulfilled the terms.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Take a screenshot of their T&Cs in case the try to alter them.

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT