Jump to content

help,advise or views please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



I've worked for the Local Authority in the same Residential EMI care home for 9 years...

The Council owned many Residential Homes but this home was the only one dedicated to EMI & Dementia Care and as such, our staff have recieved additional ongoing training inorder to support our clients special needs.

Now the council have closed most of the residential homes, offered the displaced staff voluntary severence/voluntary redundancy and redeployment.

The reason for my post is this...

Several staff have been placed as supernumary into our home while they await voluntary severance, their home closed on the 30th September and they have been told their finishing date at present is 31st October (could change)

But the management of our home is demanding that the permanent staff in our home do their shifts in one of the two remaining residential homes, because there are too many staff on shift!


The supernumary staff are not trained in dementia care and these clients benefit from the continuity and consistancy of permanent staff that understand their needs. While the fully trained staff are sent to residential care where the clients require far less support.


Many of the permanent staff at our home are unhappy, some because they dont want to be forced to work elsewhere, Some because of the extra travelling and some, like me, because of a concern for the impact to the clients.


When we held a meeting last week and voiced our concerns we where told;

"You are employed by the Local Athority NOT the home, and you will go where your sent"


I would really welcome your suggestions, advice or views on this case :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

It perhaps isn't the most tactful way of putting it, but the local authority are probably correct unless you have a contract that says that the home is your place of work and you cannot be sent anywhere else. And even if you do - what are you going to do about it? The deployment of staff and the quality of care are the employers responsibility, and within a fairly wide spectrum they can determine what needs to be done here.


In terms of extra travelling to work, the local authority should have in place rules that permit additional mielage / extra costs to be claimed to a temporary place of work, so you could ask about these. It is normal procedure to do this. But other than that, all you can do is try to make your points to them - but in the end they will do as they wish, and you may be unable to stop them. If you are in a union, that's the obvious port of call.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...