Halifax - Bare faced fraud

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4121 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am going away on holiday in mid November so for my spending I opened a regular saver account with the Halifax last year, at the same time they told me I had to open a normal account which the money would be paid into once the 12 months was up. So I opened another account with £1.

The Halifax wrote to me last month to say that the regular saver was coming to an end but the account that I had nominated was not recognized by their system. In that letter they quoted the account number of the nominated account but had missed a digit out which is probably why they dont recognize it.

I called their helpline number to try to give them the correct details and was told I had to go through their security proccess, I answered a couple of questions but they asked me how much was in the regular saver and because I'd not had any statements and didnt know what interest had been paid I got it wrong. The chap on the phone said he couldnt go any further with my call until I had passed the security screening with one of his collegues and he would get someone to ring me within 2 hours. Of course no one called me back and dispite me making several more calls over the next few days they all say the same thing, that I have to wait for someone to call me. I asked if I could go into a branch but was told because I'd failed the security screening they wouldnt be able to deal with it.

Some 3 weeks later I still havent had the security call back dispite them having my home, work, & mobile numbers.

I contacted my solicitor who wanted £400 for a consultation and letter writing which hardly seemed worth it bearing in mind there's only about £1000 in the account.

I then spoke to the Financial Ombudsman who has written to the Halifax but he has given them 8 weeks to resolve my complaint by which time my holiday will be over!!

I guess they will have to give me my money back one day but this cynical way of simply holding on to my money for 2 or 3 months without paying me any interest is going to cause me to have to take out a loan which I'll have to pay interest on and I've no idea what else I can do.

Keep a very careful note of every penny their failure has caused you - every phone call (record date, time, duration - keep your phone bills as proof), every letter, and every penny in interest if you have to borrow the money.

The FOS letter may well resolve the problem even if it's too late, but you can still complain and ask for all your expenses back plus some compensation for all the inconvenience you've been caused. At the very worst you should be no worse off than if you'd got your savings back when expected, at best you should get £100 or so compensation for the hassle.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.