UK debt in NZ

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4940 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

so if you still own property in the uk, dca's couldnt seize it as they cant obtain a ccj as you have left the uk?
There are certain things they can do but it depends on your particular circumstances i.e. where abouts you are & how long you have been left the UK.

They could send you a Statutory Demand with a view to bankrupting you which means any assets you have in the UK would be sold towards paying the debts.

I'm going to move these posts now and create a new thread under the title 'UK debt in NZ' so as not to hijack someone elese's thread.

I'm afraid that with any debt over £750 a creditor could apply for your bankruptcy if they think it is worthwhile & they'll get their money & costs back.

If they are aware that you are in NZ there is a chance that they'll assume you have no assets in the UK, after all most people sell up before they leave, so they may not do a registry search.

Given the age of the a/cs they'll be enforceable so I think it would be a waste of time requesting CCAs. Although if there are any unfair charges and/or PPI on these a/cs you could challenge them and reclaim them. This would reduce the overall debt.

hmm, sorry, what is a cca?

So it would be wise of me to continue to struggle paying this until the house is sold?

If they made me bankrupt, it wouldnt aaffect me in nz would it as long as i no longer have uk assets? how long does bankruptcy last incase we ever want to go back?

And they could do this even though its my debt and not my wifes?

thanks for your help

hmm, sorry, what is a cca?
It's an abbreviation for CCA 1974 (Consumer Credit Act 1974), we use it when referring to requesting a copy of the credit agreement.
So it would be wise of me to continue to struggle paying this until the house is sold?
If there is equity in the property I would seriously consider it.
If they made me bankrupt, it wouldnt aaffect me in nz would it as long as i no longer have uk assets?
Although it would be registered on your credit file in the UK that information is not transferred overseas to a foreign credit file, although the UK database is open to anyone wishing to view it see; http://www.trustonline.org.uk/
how long does bankruptcy last incase we ever want to go back?
it's recorded for six years.
And they could do this even though its my debt and not my wifes?
If it's solely your debt it would not affect your wife & they couldn't sell the property if it was in joint names, however they could place a Charging Order on it which would mean when the property was sold they could reclaim the monies from your share.