Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • My job I've been in for 8 years, my contract is to give a week's notice.   I have 10 days holiday coming up starting next week. If I message the boss 3 days into that holiday and tell him I'm not coming back can it be used as 7 days notice (ie a week). I have a lot of holiday entitlement left this year about 70 hours.   So 2 questions please without judgement just facts:   1. If I phone boss three days into my 10 day holiday next week to formally tell him I'm quitting is that legal? 2. Can they get out of paying me my 70hrs holiday entitlement if I take that route?   (Massive global company not one man and his dog operation, if it affects the advice)  
    • Hi everyone. We purchased a new bed from dreams 26/12/2017 which was delivered 01/02/2018.  We also purchased their delivery, assembly, take the old one away, tv, mattress, mattress protector, pillows and their 'bed cover' 8 years extended warranty.  We paid by 30 monthly interest free instalments and so just made the final payment.   It is a heavy duty king size lift up storage bed with a built in tv at the end.  It has always been a struggle to lift, my wife cannot do it on her own and it rarely stays up by itself.   At the beginning of this year, we noticed it had started to dip considerably in the middle.  Not the mattress, but the wooden base the mattress is on.  So on 09/02/2020 I emailed them about the issue.  They started by saying the mattress is not covered only the base, until I pointed out it is the base at fault not the mattress.  So they sent out Homeserve on the 25/02/2020 to come and repair.  He did what he called a temporary repair, said that the bed had failed due to a manufacturing or design fault (the metal bolts holding the wooden base to the lift up supports have pulled out of the wood) and that dreams would be in touch to arrange a replacement.  His temporary repair barely lasted a day, the bed was still dipping and he took plenty of photos for himself but seemed in a mad rush to leave.   Of course they didn't contact us, so on 30/03/2020 I emailed them back.  01/04/2020 they emailed back confirming in writing that it is a manufacturing fault and their sales team would contact me, however as expected due to Covid-19 this may take a while.   30/06/2020 I asked for an update.  03/07/2020 they replied saying their claims department would contact me within 5 working days.  They didn't. 15/07/2020 I emailed back asking them to escalate my complaint as well as providing a refund and compensation as we are now struggling to sleep and experiencing back ache due to the bed's extreme dipping, plus I am worried about the mattress getting damaged. 23/07/2020 They replied saying we are not entitled to a refund as it is a guarantee claim and they have passed it once again this time to their guarantee company to contact us. I have still not heard back.   This is now getting beyond a joke and I wanted some guidance on how I should proceed.  We are struggling to sleep in the bed and cannot now even open the bed to access our belongings inside as as soon as you try and lift you hear the sound of breaking wood.   Many thanks  
    • bit obv really... don't eat yellow snow either.   dx  
    • I know you are trivialising this as, 'Ambulance Chasing Lawyers', because they are perceived to be involved. You mention BMW (other brands as well). Counterfeit car and truck parts have been implicated, and proven to be the cause, of accidents where fatalities have occurred.   There is some considerable difference between a set of counterfeit brake pads and a fake SD Card.   The trademark infringement though, is the same.   H
    • One hope in this growing mess is that local authorities, mainly in the north west so far, like Liverpool, are developing their own systems to test and trace, filling in the gaps of what Serco et al are missing.   But they're doing it with precious little in the way of funding. In the meantime it looks as if Serco [I think it's them] will be given more hundreds of millions on top of the £100 million that hasn't been effective so far in a couple of weeks. Given that the PM has swanned off to Scotland for a couple of weeks this isn't looking good.
  • Our picks

    • Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.
      I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.
      I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.
      No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.
      The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.
      They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.
      They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.
      I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?
      Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3322 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

I am new to the forum sorry if I have posted in the wrong area.


This one may sound a bit different


We saught veteniary treatment for our dog in 2009, we were told the bill would not exceed £200.00 for 24hours of care and were advised we would have to consent to further treatment. Dog was let out the next day with the bill nearing £400.00. We advised we could not afford this we paid £100.00 on the spot and set out to make a complaint.


I emailed 4 letters of complaint, with no reply. They instructed a debt collector again no reply to the complaint or for a request of how the charges were made up.


Next think court paperwork lands for the amount, I could not insert a defence as I could not ascertain how the bill was made up, the vets or the debt collector did not reply to demands.


Therefore I made arrangment with the court to pay at the rate of £28.00 per month.


Since then the Vets have finally provided paperwork and it shows that treatment was added that we did not consent to, they have also showed a consent for our treatment with the costs at £200.00 for the first 24hours.


I now wish to challenge this how would I go about it and is there any legal argument I could quote to try and get this overturned.


I thankyou for your help.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

if you have the documentry evidence then go for the set aside


it will cost £75


and you need to download an application n244 form


read the threads on ccj set asides

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.


DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation






IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.


Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats great is there any particular argument I need to make on the application. As the judge may say that I had agreed to pay the amount and it has taken a series of months to take this action.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

if you have only recently became aware of the relevant paperwork than that would be a reason to request set aside as it was not made avaliable at the original claim

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your issue is slightly complex, as there is no argument that the debt has occurred for your pet. Also, on the part of being told a maximum amount and then finding this did not apply I assume was a verbal admission? Without anything in writing, you are immediately disadvantaged. From personal experience, Vets will only provide estimates - the actual cost isn't known until calculated by the practice computer.


It is always traumatic at the vet's and mistakes and mis-hearings are common, but I have never, ever had a vet who game me a cast iron guarantee on costs. It would be impractical for them to do so. So a challenge based on the price NOT being 'right' would not succeed. Especially as you had already made a part payment. The time to dispute this was at the time, not pay in part then default after court action.


Yes, you could seek a set-aside, but the costs can be conbsiderable, the £75 to restart the action is only part of the story, as if you lose, the practice will apply for its (capped) costs for the additional work involved, and at £100 bumps up the cost and the debt still stands.


As your appeal can only be based on accuracy or an err in law, as this has not happened, may not be prudent simply to challenge because you don't like the CCJ.


Issues like this are always better dealt with at the time - Vet's do have discretion, but the time where this is available is at the time of treatment - not after they start begging for payment and are ignored. Without insurance, (or a safety savings pot) your pet will always have the potential to cost a fair bit in medical fees, I think they're worth every penny - and when all else fails, the PDSA can often stand in to prevent animal suffering.

Edited by buzby
Additional info

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I must concur with Buzby you will only add to the debt with costs.Could you not have approached the PDSA before litigation commenced?



We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service


If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello. Just out of interest, who was the debt collector that the vets instructed?


Many thanks

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...