CCJ Removal

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4671 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am new to the forum sorry if I have posted in the wrong area.

This one may sound a bit different

We saught veteniary treatment for our dog in 2009, we were told the bill would not exceed £200.00 for 24hours of care and were advised we would have to consent to further treatment. Dog was let out the next day with the bill nearing £400.00. We advised we could not afford this we paid £100.00 on the spot and set out to make a complaint.

I emailed 4 letters of complaint, with no reply. They instructed a debt collector again no reply to the complaint or for a request of how the charges were made up.

Next think court paperwork lands for the amount, I could not insert a defence as I could not ascertain how the bill was made up, the vets or the debt collector did not reply to demands.

Therefore I made arrangment with the court to pay at the rate of £28.00 per month.

Since then the Vets have finally provided paperwork and it shows that treatment was added that we did not consent to, they have also showed a consent for our treatment with the costs at £200.00 for the first 24hours.

I now wish to challenge this how would I go about it and is there any legal argument I could quote to try and get this overturned.

I thankyou for your help.

Your issue is slightly complex, as there is no argument that the debt has occurred for your pet. Also, on the part of being told a maximum amount and then finding this did not apply I assume was a verbal admission? Without anything in writing, you are immediately disadvantaged. From personal experience, Vets will only provide estimates - the actual cost isn't known until calculated by the practice computer.

It is always traumatic at the vet's and mistakes and mis-hearings are common, but I have never, ever had a vet who game me a cast iron guarantee on costs. It would be impractical for them to do so. So a challenge based on the price NOT being 'right' would not succeed. Especially as you had already made a part payment. The time to dispute this was at the time, not pay in part then default after court action.

Yes, you could seek a set-aside, but the costs can be conbsiderable, the £75 to restart the action is only part of the story, as if you lose, the practice will apply for its (capped) costs for the additional work involved, and at £100 bumps up the cost and the debt still stands.

As your appeal can only be based on accuracy or an err in law, as this has not happened, may not be prudent simply to challenge because you don't like the CCJ.

Issues like this are always better dealt with at the time - Vet's do have discretion, but the time where this is available is at the time of treatment - not after they start begging for payment and are ignored. Without insurance, (or a safety savings pot) your pet will always have the potential to cost a fair bit in medical fees, I think they're worth every penny - and when all else fails, the PDSA can often stand in to prevent animal suffering.

Edited by buzby
Additional info

I must concur with Buzby you will only add to the debt with costs.Could you not have approached the PDSA before litigation commenced?

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 8 months later...