Gross Misconduct.. plz help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4940 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took 10 minutes extra before my Tea break; to prepare my tea, and then I started my tea break, the manager suspended me for that, he said it is a Gross Misconduct.

Do my company have the right to suspended me because of 10 minutes only?

Please can you give me any help?

Hello there. This sounds quite heavy-handed on the part of your manager. We need to know what the company's disciplinary procedures are to advise you best. Do you have the employee booklet handy at home? If so, please tell us what it says.

Have you been told what's going to happen and how long you're suspended for? I take it you're on full pay?

Is there any history between you and this manager that you can tell us about?

You might also try calling ACAS's confidential helpline, number on their website. It could help you to speak to someone as well as asking us.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I agree it sounds disproportionate. Is there anything else that has been going on either personally against you or within the company generally that may explain this action? I note your tag but what gender are you or is there any form of discrimination going on? Are you in a union, if so what have they said?

I agree it sounds disproportionate. Is there anything else that has been going on either personally against you or within the company generally that may explain this action? I note your tag but what gender are you or is there any form of discrimination going on? Are you in a union, if so what have they said?

And one other question - did you "sign out" for these ten minutes ? Because you were either "at work" or "on break" - what did you say you were doing?

Must observe - it has to be the longest preparation time for a cup of tea I've seen in a while - was this some form of Japanese tea ceremony you were doing?

I take exception to that, Elpulpo, as a wimpy southerner :). Is strong Yorkshire tea the reason you can't control your avatar's tentacles?

How are your own problems, btw

My best, HB

I'm in perfect control of my tentacle(s), I'll have you know.

My problems are resolved. The professional ones anyway.

The disciplinary procedure

Oral warning

First written warning

Final written warning

Dismissal

I know why he did that they do not like me in the company because I always complain about the supervisor. I am a pain in the .... For them.

I work full time, same time in the office and same time on street,

That day I was on street I stopped to buy tea from somewhere there was long queue I waited when I got me tea I put sugar then I logged break, I spent ten minutes waiting for the tea.

I am clean I do not have any warning at all, for seven years I never had any warning.

The manger does not like me at all, his action was clear to me he wants to get rid of me; he gave me 2 weeks suspension.

I have a union I am going to see them; they said they will came with to hearing.

And one other question - did you "sign out" for these ten minutes ? Because you were either "at work" or "on break" - what did you say you were doing?

Must observe - it has to be the longest preparation time for a cup of tea I've seen in a while - was this some form of Japanese tea ceremony you were doing?

I will never drink tea again

I was in the queue

To answer your question – YES

Your manager has every right to suspend you; Your manager is right to deem your conduct as gross miss-conduct. The reason I say this is because you are paid to work.

I assume your 10 minute break is a paid break and forms part of your terms and conditions and as such you only take 10 minutes. In this instance you took 20 minutes.

You state your company employ 700 staff, if all took an extra 10 minutes your company would lose a substantial amount of working time.

It would be very unlikley you would face dismissal for a first offence in 7 years. If I were you I would approach your disciplinary with remorse, if you know of anybody else who has had a similar discipline for the same offence you should also be given the same disciplinary sanction.

Edited by colin813

I agree with the remorse comment from Colin, no point trying to justify it I don't think.

One question though : how did they know what you were doing if you weren't on the company premises? I'm a bit confused about the street thing.

And one comment. The disc procedure you posted doesn't cover gross misconduct and what would constitute GM in your company. Does your document have anything else please?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Proper Yorkshire tea takes that long to brew.

You're obviously a lightweight southerner, SarEl.

And I take exception to that! I only set foot in the South for tribunals and EAT's! But I don't drink tea! Does one have to stand and watch it for ten minutes?

I think claiming this is gross misconduct would be OTT, but I have to agree - which is the point I was getting to with my original questions - if you were supposed to be at work and not on break, then I am afraid you were supposed to be at work and not on break. It's no differnt than claiming you took 30 minutes lunch and actually took an hour. Not the sort of big difference that some of us might worry about, but the fact is that your manager is technically in the right, and that's all that matters. It's generally a case of, if you've ****ed of the manager, don't give them any excuses - something most union reps (who often **** off managers) will be able to explain as a concept!

BTW Hunneybee - been PM-ing you and somebody hasn't emptied their inbox! I keep getting "box full bounces"!!!!

And I take exception to that! I only set foot in the South for tribunals and EAT's! But I don't drink tea! Does one have to stand and watch it for ten minutes?

Yes. Signed Elpulpo. A Yorkshireman. Now residing in Devon :oops:

I think claiming this is gross misconduct would be OTT, but I have to agree - which is the point I was getting to with my original questions - if you were supposed to be at work and not on break, then I am afraid you were supposed to be at work and not on break. It's no differnt than claiming you took 30 minutes lunch and actually took an hour. Not the sort of big difference that some of us might worry about, but the fact is that your manager is technically in the right, and that's all that matters. It's generally a case of, if you've ****ed of the manager, don't give them any excuses - something most union reps (who often **** off managers) will be able to explain as a concept!

!!

What do you mean ( claiming this is gross misconduct would be OTT )

The union told me that they cannot dismiss me because of those ten minutes it is impossible, they should give me warning because I do not commit any offences.

They said that cannot be gross misconduct, if the manger wants he can deduct the 10 minutes from my time.

Even I asked the citizen advice bureau, they agreed with the union.