Dodgy phone number

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4936 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Been receiving calls from this number up to 4 times a day. They left a message on answer machine and it said word for word ''08453006899 I repeat 08453006899'' I called the number and a recorded message said thank you for calling BUCHANAN CLARKE & WELLS at which point I hung up. Is this a new ploy to get you to call them?

Make sure you keep those answerphone messages.

Complain to OFT and Trading Standards here: http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/contact

... and you know the drill, wait for something in writing, or if you happen to answer their call, don't answer their security questions, and state in writing only and put the 'phone down.

They are sinking to even lower depths, and are going against OFT guidelines.

Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act

“S40 Punishment for unlawful harassment of debtors.

A person commits an offence if, with the object of coercing another person to pay money claimed from the other as a debt due under a contract he-

harasses the other with demands for payment which, in respect of their frequency, or the manner or occasion of making any such demand, or of any threat or publicity by which any demand is accompanied, are calculated to subject him or members of his family or household to alarm, distress or humiliation;

falsely represents, in relation to the money claimed, that criminal proceedings lie for failure to pay it;

falsely represents himself to be authorised in some official capacity to claim or enforce payment; or

utters a document falsely represented by him to have some official character, or purporting to have some official character which he know it has not.

A person may be guilty of an offence by virtue of sub-section (1) (a) above if he concerts with others in the taking of such actions as is described in that paragraph, notwithstanding that his own course of conduct does not by itself amount to harassment.”

BCW are just unorganised threat monkeys. They kept contacting my address regarding someone who has never lived there. I came back from a 3 week holiday and there were 21 answerphone messages from them, sounding really p*ssed off that nobody was answering the phone. They also sent about a dozen letters, that were all sent back, telling them to stop contacting my address as the person they were looking for did not reside there.

After a couple of months they just gave up and another DCA started making contact.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Make a formal complaint to Ofcom also, for breaches under the communications act.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/contact-us/

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/21/section/127

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi there

Only Two rules

Rule 1 -- NEVER EVER EVER call an 0845 phone number

Rule Nr 2 Always Obey rule nr 1.

Now when dealing with these "Solicitors" ALWAYS ALWAYS do something like the following

Dear Sirs,

Just because you have the name "Solicitors" on your headed notepaper doesn't make your collection process exempt from following the CORRECT Proceedures required by LAW - the same as for ANY OTHER DEBT COLLECTION AGENCY.

Demanding payment for a debt WITHOUT PROOF that the person to whom you are sending the debt to is actually his / hers AND ALSO NOT PROVIDING YOUR AUTHORITY TO COLLECT THIS "ALLEGED DEBT" can be construed as EXTORTION for which there are SEVERE penalties including disbarment from the legal profession, withdrawl of any credit licence AND EVEN IMPRISONMENT.

I'm sure you are aware that ANYBODY can send a demand for payment -- and if you really are acting as SOLICITORS rather than a low level Debt Collection Agency I would have then expected you to behave in a competant professional manner IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAW and supply all the paperwork from the outset.

As such for your gross unprofessional conduct I expect an immediate APOLOGY within 7 days for the threatening letter you sent plus the correct paperwork to be included.

Even if the "Alledged Debt" turns out to be genuine there is TOTALLY NO EXCUSE for the absolute DISGUSTING threatening language you have used and you WILL be reported to OFT and the legal ombudsmen in any case.

I expect your reply within 7 days -- failing that I will consider this matter as CLOSED.

Cheers

jimbo

Edited by jimbo45

Guest Cartaphilus

Oh, yes, BCW like making calls to people ... not that I do phone DCAs or answer their calls, but this one outfit I certainly wouldn't want to talk to by phone. The rest has been said already above. ;)

I save up all the 0845 & 0870 numbers that have rang me in the week for the weekend, when it's free, alternatively, if I want to bait then=m during the week, I'll use the "saynoto0870" website and get the geographical numbers off there, then ring them...

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 2 weeks later...

I keep receiving messages from a company called MIL asking me to call such and such phone number which then puts me through to a message service asking me to call 01872266120 ref xxxxxx. As we live in a brand new house I believe we have somebody elses old phone number, ie. it's been recycled. So I'm led to believe this company is tracing THEIR debt as the only money i owe is to the bank and I'm up to date (God bless Direct Debit).

How do I get shot of them?

Suggest that you change the phone number to your own number. You never know what phone calls you might received otherwise. All their marketing types calls, calls from friend/relatives, debt companies.

In the meantime, give them a quick call to advise them of the situation and don't forget to make a note of the name of the person you speak to, plus date/time of the call. You will get people on here saying never to phone these companies, but as it is not your debt, why put up with hassle of more phone calls and letters. Nip it in the bud, by calling them. If they don't stop report them to Trading Standards via Consumer Direct.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

You can always ask your phone provider to change your number, and look at adding your number to the TPS site as well.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/