Comet faulty fridge freezer - claiming repair

munchkette
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4837 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK so after a number of letters back and forth with the Comet director I have now been offered a £49 refund on the £99 repair fee I paid as a 'gesture of goodwill'. I am still not entirely happy about this as I wanted a full refund as I believe the goods were not of satisfactory quality and did not last a reasonable length of time hence I should have been entitled to a free repair. Not sure whether to take this offer to keep on pushing for a full refund. They are probably trying to fob me off.

Your thoughts people?

per i think its a fob-off

where under SOGA does it say they can do this.....NOWHERE

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yeah I figured they were trying to just fob me off, so what next now send them a letter declining their offer, requesting full refund or court action (for the 3rd time!)?

I will have to get on to Which to see if I can get a hold of their report on manufacturers estimations of their product lifetimes and also get the details of the BEKO managing director so I can quote him as an expert witness in my case.

what does comsumer direct have to say?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

They were initially helpful to begin with but the last time I spoke to them they were telling me I don't have much hope without an independent report from a technician confirming that the thermostat failing after 2.5yrs was not normal wear and tear - however the appliance has already been repaired by a Comet engineer I didn't get an independent report 'cos Comet insisted I HAD to use their own engineer. :|

again thats comet dictating things

if the manu has fitted poorly made stats thats their problem not yours

the more times it get alerted , the closer it becomes to be recognised as a birth fault

then the manu has to replace the appliance.

dx

and they

i never like this word 'free' per i would never use it in comms with them

the appliance should of been repaired by the retailer, under SOGA, and returned working to you, your 'fee' for jumping through the SOGA inspection hoop, should also be refunded.

warranty or no warranty is nowt to do with this .

it should last a 'resonable time', it did not , for whatever reason.

cough comet.

i wonder if chris 2K is around lurking?

dx

and they

• 1 month later...

Update on the current situation - with xmas and new year I hadn't quite got round to writing my follow-up letter requesting full refund of the repair fee.

Well this Monday the damn fridge decided to pack up again :-x Both fridge and freezer not working, all food ruined that I wasn't able to cook/eat. I suspect it is the thermostat that has gone again. I did raise an issue when the new one was installed about the fridge freezing when the thermostat was only set to 2 and whether it was working correctly. The engineer assured me that this was all perfectly fine - total BS as I suspected.

So just over 2 weeks past the 3mth guarantee they offer on their repairs the damn thing has packed up again. Luckily they have offered to send out an engineer to identify what the problem is. If they identify the same problem then I expect it will be repaired under their warranty. However I have lost faith in the damn thing altogether now. How long is the repair going to last before the fridge packs up again? Not sure if I should request some sort of contribution towards a new fridge instead??