Sound Proofing between floors?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4948 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've been living in a 2nd floor flat for around 3 years now. I've always had issue with the sound levels in the neighbouring flats (above and below), it's not that they are particularly loud but that there is no sound proofing it would seem between floors in this previously converted house.

I have no idea how to best go about raising this with the landlord, what sort of sound proofing standards there are for tenants and landlords. I am a very light sleeper, and being able to hear every footstep from the flat above and conversations of the the couple in the flat below have made living (and not sleeping) very difficult and feel it's about time I manned up and tried to do something about it, or at least found out what I can do.

Thank you very much in advance for your comments on the matter.

GA

There are no standards quite frankly, and as such nothing you can enforce.

Of course, you can speak to the landlord and ask him to have it done...I would attempt to sell it as adding value to the property and the rental (although be prepared for a small increase in rent if you do this as you cannot sell it as increasing rental value, without him actually realising that increase!).

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I'm sorry to hear about your woes, I'm a light sleeper too so feel your pain.

I found a website called 'snore store' which sell really good sleep earplugs - much better than the junk they flog in Boots etc. Google them if you fancy taking a look!

Best wishes,

Seq.

• Haha 1

Are your floors concrete, ie purpose built flats or wooden, ie conversion flats?

It's a converted house, the floors are most definitely not concrete. Infact my flat isn't even self contained, the three rooms included in my flat are seperated a long the communal corridor!

So yeah, wood floors. I have carpet, dunno 'bout the guy above though.

Then you will always have noise intrusion as it was designed as a house. Imagine in an ordinary, 3 bedroom semi I let another family live upstars. The noise will be VERY noticable.

Man that hurts me to hear, but I guess you are right.

@sequenci - Those earplugs, how do they fair when sleeping on your side? Also, would I not miss my alarm if I can't hear anything?

@sequenci - Those earplugs, how do they fair when sleeping on your side? Also, would I not miss my alarm if I can't hear anything?

I only ever sleep on my side, they are really comfy. The site sells trial packs which include one pair of most of the different types of plugs, you can find a type that suit you, I use the really squishy, soft foam type. You can also choose how much they reduce the noise by. You can still hear with them in, I can hear my alarm but I cannot hear the other half get up for work and next door's kids going mad at 7.30 in the morning!