Jump to content
  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • what rights of access do you have on your agreement with the landlord?   i suspect you shouldn't have to pay a thing.
    • then there is your proof to them why would you pay for BB twice!!   for my notes: GENERAL NOTES ON CHARGEBACK & Continuous Payment Authority & BACS   .....  We have been telling people to put a letter into their bank instructing them  not to make any payments under any circumstances to these companies  . http://whatconsumer.co.uk/visa-debit-chargeback/- it works! usually this should be done using the number on your debit card  .  banks MUST follow written intructions from their customers ! . CANCELLING YOUR DEBIT CARD DOES NOT STOP CPA'S  .  This fsa guide has now been updated:  . http://www.fsa.gov.uk/static/pubs/consumer_info/know_your_rights_guide.pdf http://www.fca.org.uk/news/continuous-payment-authorities-your-right-to-cancel https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/unauthorised-payments-account  .  Here's the text:  .  Cancelling a regular  card payment:  .  When you give your credit or debit card details to a company and authorise them to take regular payments from your account,   such as for a gym membership or magazine subscription,  it is known as a ‘recurring transaction’ or ‘continuous payment authority’.  . These are often confused with direct debits, but do not offer the same guarantee if the amount or date of the payment changes.  .  In most cases, regular payments can be cancelled by telling the company taking the payments.   .  However,   you have the right to cancel them directly with your bank or card issuer by telling it that you have stopped permission for the payments.   Your bank or card issuer must then stop them – it has no right to insist that you agree this first with the company taking the payments.  .  Be aware, though, that you will still be responsible for paying any money that you owe. and that CANCELLING YOUR CARD WILL NOT STOP THE CPA  .  ..  .  New june 2013  .  Regulator orders Banks and mutuals to review complaints about not cancelling recurring payments from November 2009.  .  Consumers who have set up a regular payment from their account will now be able to successfully cancel that arrangement   by contacting their card provider, the Financial Conduct Authority said.  .  The FCA has been examining how easy it is for customers to cancel Continuous Payment Authorities (CPAs)   due either to payday lendersicon or for other regular payments such as subscriptions or gymicon memberships.  .  CPAs, which are also commonly called recurring transactions or recurring payments,   are relatively easy to set up but can be hard to cancel, causing problems for consumers trying to manage their finances,the FCA said.  .  Now, following the FCA review of how the largest high street banks and mutuals process requests to cancel CPAs, they have agreed that they will ensure that when   a customer asks for a recurring payment to end, that will be sufficient to cancel the arrangement. They have also confirmed that should a payment go through by   mistake following cancellation by a customer the customer will be refunded immediately.  .  In addition to securing this commitment, the largest banks and mutuals have agreed to review every individual complaint they have received about the non-  cancellation of a CPA and to pay redress where payments have continued to be made despite the customer cancelling the arrangement. This applies to all complaints   since November 2009 when the Financial Services Authority, the FCA’s predecessor, began regulating banking conduct.  .  Clive Adamson, the FCA’s director of supervision, said: “It’s important that consumers are confident that banks are meeting their everyday banking needs. Today   customers can be confident that when they ask for a Continuous Payment Authority to be cancelled – it will be cancelled - and that it can be done easily.   . “We recognise that historically this is an area where some customers have struggled but the banks and mutuals have responded positively to our work on this issue.   From now on we expect them to be getting this right. In addition, they have committed to review past complaints.” .  .  Also mentioned your displeasure that as whomever took your money had obviously attempted this many times   probably activating your banks own anti fraud software - nobody had the decency to inform my you this was going on.? .  .In the FSA's own words:  .  ..  What should I do about a payment from my account that I didn’t authorise?  .  Your bank must refund an unauthorised transaction.   Money can only be taken from your account if you have authorised the transaction   or if your bank can prove you were at fault –  . see below.  Contact your bank immediately if you notice an unauthorised payment from your account. .  If you are sure you did not authorise the payment, you can claim a refund.  .  However, your bank does not have to refund you if you do not tell it about the payment until 13 months  or more after the date it left your account.  .  Your bank must refund an unauthorised transaction  .  ------------------  .  Your bank may only refuse a refund for an unauthorised transaction if:  .  ? it can prove you authorised the transaction  – though your bank cannot simply say that use of your password,   card and PIN proves you authorised a payment; or .  ? it can prove you are at fault because you acted fraudulently,   or because you deliberately,   or with gross negligence, failed to protect the details of your card, PIN or password in a way that allowed the transaction  .  -----------------------  .  How quickly must my bank refund me for an unauthorised transaction?  .  The bank must make the refund immediately unless it has evidence that one of the above reasons applies.   Your bank may ask you to answer some questions and fill out a form confirming what has happened,   but it cannot delay your refund while it waits for you to return the form.  If the bank has evidence that one of the above reasons for refusing a refund applies,   it may investigate before making a refund   but must look into it as quickly as possible.   If your bank rejects your claim for a refund it should explain why.  If the transaction was on a credit card, the refund may not happen immediately.   But the card issuer cannot charge interest or ask for repayment of the amount unless it can prove you are liable to pay        
    • Only asking because I want to get my facts right before I approach the bank! Yes, BT is coming out of the same account.
    • not if they want to make the OP the named claimant no!! let them take the other party to court themselves!! the op can be a witness then..   one bitten...read this thread..      
  • Our picks

    • Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.
      I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.
      I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.
      No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.
      The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.
      They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.
      They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.
      I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?
      Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies

Link Financial - How do I proceed?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3601 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Well, I did a quick search here and I see many have had issues with these people (use that term loosely). However I am at a bit of a loss on how to deal with this one... so I will go ahead and explain the circumstances and the debt I assume they are chasing me for:


Firstly, I am currently 23 years old and a University student, I say this so that you have some idea how long the debt has been outstanding for as well my limited financial means as a student. When I was 17 I open a Bank account with what was then 'Abbey National', I had direct debits on that account as I had to pay for my own phone line/broadband at home. After many issues with Abbey seizing my bank card in ATM's relentlessly every time I topped phone up I decided I'd had enough and changed my account to HSBC just before I was 18. When I did this I instructed Abbey to cancel all my direct debits that were on the account as I was moving banks, as it turns out they didn't do this and I had transferred all my money to my new current account with HSBC. Obviously the direct debits failed and I was left with charges on my account, I attempted to deal with this but it was futile and the costs went up as I simply refused to pay as this was their error (I even wrote to them instructing the cancellation with 3 weeks notice).


Unfortunately bad family circumstances hit and I was kicked out of home and so life began on my own, however I was estranged from my family with no contact. For years they apparently sent letters to my old address (where my father and step-mother reside) but never to me and I had no contact with them through this period of time (my family). However, one day my Father receives a note through the door, handwritten, simply saying... 'My names is Darren, I am looking to contact a lost friend by the name of , please contact me on this number [...]'. My father managed to make contact with me at this point and we spoke on a regular basis, but these people would hound him with phone calls and my Father kept the letters they sent, when I met with him he would give me them and some of them were unbelievable... they actually threatened to perform debt collections at my family premises if they could not get hold of me.


Any way, years passed and I heard nothing until two weeks ago at my home, they now persistently call 2-3 times a day with some half-wit rude boy leaving me mumbled messages on my answer phone, using only my first name. They have sent no formal correspondence to this address outlining details of the debt, instead they simply call my land line. I am a bit concerned about them contacting neighbours etc. as I have heard this is the sort of business practices they ensue.


Now knowing the nature of my debt, how best should I go about resolving this? I am no fool, I realise that their business practises are completely unethical and largely illegal, however the world of resolving financial debt seems to be a tough one, especially when these companies refuse to follow regulations.


As a side note, a couple of things stick out to me:


1) I was under 18 years of age, therefore the very act of forcing debt upon me is the act of giving me credit, something which is not allowed at that age


2) They threatened to visit my families properties to reclaim the debt


Any help you can offer would be hugely appreciated,


Thank you :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds as if this alleged debt is either Stat Barred, or very nearly so. Do not answer the phone to the muppets, and if they do catch you, refuse to go through security. Then send them the "Prove it" letter, and see what they come up with:





Once you are certain that it is Stat Barred, it is much easier to make them go away for good.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I don't understand what 'Stat barred' is, could you explain to me? Sorry I'm limited in knowledge with this sort of thing, also thank you for the reply.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Statute Barred is where you have made no payments, or any written acknowledgements, within a 6 year period. Once a debt becomes Stat Barred, there is no legal action they can ever take to enforce it. They can still ask you to pay, but if you tell them to go away they have to do so.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic, I will get on that straight away then. Thank you for your advice, I am glad I asked here.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did your parents give your mobile number to them ? If not then the reason you may have only been contacted recently is due to you maybe taking out insurance or applying for a financial product or an application you may have filled out which contains your mobile number.

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.


DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation






IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.


Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Did your parents give your mobile number to them ? If not then the reason you may have only been contacted recently is due to you maybe taking out insurance or applying for a financial product or an application you may have filled out which contains your mobile number.


No, I didn't. I did however apply for a graduate banking account with my bank (HSBC). Their main harassment has been through my land line, would it make a difference if I had it made ex-directory or is it too late in the day/is there some form of marketing list they would get it from anyway?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...