Scottishpower smart meters

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4739 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Couldn't see any other threads on these.

I have just had my new scottishpower smart meters for gas and electric installed today.

No more meter readings and are checked every two years for safety.

I have to wait a couple of days and can go online and check my usage whenever I want to so looking forward to that.

It says has lots of tips online when i am using it.

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Happy new Meters Ida, not got a clue how they work like.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi Ida

I see your up to speed with the latest technology. Surely this must compare with being the first to get an iPhone? 8-)

Remember I am here if you have any questions about your new meters. Hopefully these will be great for you and you can say goodbye to estimated statements.

Kind Regards

Colin @ ScottishPower

Lets hope they are accurate & reliable ...

Are there any built-in 'features' like the utility company being able to convert them to a pre-pay meter, load debts & rates etc?

Does the gas meter have to be plugged in to the electricity supply & if so, how much electricity does it consume & who pays for it. (It may be pence per customer but thousands per supplier). Does the electricity meter also consume some of the power that it is measuring or does it take its supply from 'before the meter'?

Not my idea of an iphone equivalent but whatever floats your boat ...

Will all SP customers be getting one of these new meters?

Absolutely brilliant. These SMART meters are the best thing since bubble gum. They don't require any one to visit your premises except to fix the meter or safety check and your bills are spot on. Also you can carry on paying a fixed DD every month instead of your bill flucuating every month. They can also remotely reprogram the meter.

Best of all it does not cost you anything extra. If any one has a business this is the best type of metering to have and also stops energy companies ripping you off because they couldn't be bothered to do a reading once every two years.

These are not prepayment meters so not the ones in the above link.

Maybe colin can answer Grumpy's questions.

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Hi 2Grumpy

Firstly, welcome to ScottishPower.

Have a look at the link below for further information on the Smart Meters:

http://www.scottishpower.co.uk/support-centre/energy-efficiency/smart-metering.aspx

Estimated accounts have always been a huge issue for customer's as they want to pay for gas and electricity that they have used. These new smart meters will eliminate estimated accounts. This is a huge bonus straight away. On top of this the meter will be able to provide the consumer with information on the consumption being used which will in turn help the consumer budget. Smart meters are without a doubt the future for the industry to help both the utility company to bill customers accurately and to help customers be more energy efficient. I believe that the meters can also be upgraded and so are future proof as well. It not my area of expertise at the moment but I should be able to point you in the right direction if you have any further queries.

Customer's pay a daily standing charge to cover the maintenance of the meter (same for all older meters as well), if you are on a no standing charge tariff, then this will be recovered through the Primary rate on your tariff. This has always been the case.

I hope that information I have provided has been helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions and I will be more than happy to assist.

Kind Regards

Colin @ ScottishPower

Edited by ScottishPower Company Rep

• 1 month later...

Colin,

I have registered online but cannot see how to 'link' my account with the smart meter

Absolutely brilliant. These SMART meters are the best thing since bubble gum. They don't require any one to visit your premises except to fix the meter or safety check and your bills are spot on. Also you can carry on paying a fixed DD every month instead of your bill flucuating every month. They can also remotely reprogram the meter.

Best of all it does not cost you anything extra. If any one has a business this is the best type of metering to have and also stops energy companies ripping you off because they couldn't be bothered to do a reading once every two years.

And in the future remote disconnection you for no payment of you Bill at a push of a button.

That's progress for you

Edited by 45002
remote disconnection

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Why should paying custoemrs subsidise those that do n ot pay? Utilities are priority debts along with mortgage payments etc BTW they cannot disconnect you at the touch of a button. They still need to get a court warrant as it is bad debt so you will get loads of warnings before it proceeds to that stage.

Why should paying custoemrs subsidise those that do n ot pay? Utilities are priority debts along with mortgage payments etc BTW they cannot disconnect you at the touch of a button. They still need to get a court warrant as it is bad debt so you will get loads of warnings before it proceeds to that stage.

I do know the process the utilities companies have to do before cutting some one off,but No can predict what the law going to be in 10 or 20 years from now................

Edited by 45002
process

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Ok - it has done it iteslf after a couple of days it confirms my billing according to the smart meter

Colin,

some feedback -

when trying to register yur account online you HAVE to chose another tarriff

Now there wasn't that much info on them and i did not really want to change at that point until i could get all the info but basically had too to get online and the option i was on was not option to stay.

I would have preferred to stay on what i was until i could try and work out if it would benefit me or not

Ida x

Hi Ida

Thank you for the feedback. I was given information from the Smart Metering team but checked it myself and needed additional information to identify how the online account is created for you. I have been advised that you will require an online account before you can assess the Online Web Portal. Once the online account is created for you, you should then be able to go to "My Online Energy Tracker" to view your consumption.

What tariff were you previously on? You should have been able to create an online account and remain on your current tariff. Have you been disadvantaged by changing tariff?

Kind Regards

Colin

Thanks Colin,

That's the problem - i just don't know - i eventually opt for the online standard and i was on the premeir plus (both gas and electric) but cannot find out how to compare them ir the other packages 0 you only got a very little few lines of each of the choices and was bamboozled.

Hi IdaInFife

If you changed from Premier Plus to Standard then you have changed from monthly Direct Debit to quarterly cash. I don't imagine you would want to do this if you are happy paying by Direct Debit (its also cheaper). All you need is an online account but you can remain on your previous tariff no problem. I would contact us and ask that you are placed back onto the online equivalent of your previous tariff. I can also arrange this for you if you like. Just send me your details to [email protected].

Kind Regards

Colin @ ScottishPower

Hi Ida

More information just given to me this second regarding how to access the Online Energy Tracker.

- Log onto www.scottishpower.co.uk

- Select My Account Tab (should be selected by both existing and new online customers)

- If new online customer (e.g. not already Online Energy) customer will be required to select “Register to manage your account online”

- Customer is then required to enter account number & postcode (there is also an option to select paperless billing)

- Customer should complete registration process, confirming email address and password

- Customers should then return to My Account tab

- Input email address and then password

- Customer is then navigated to My Online Energy Account and should select “My Online Energy Tracker”

- Online Web Portal will be displayed

Where the customer is Online and Smart meter has been installed this will automatically become an available option on the menu.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Colin @ ScottishPower

• Haha 1

Thanks Colin

Have sent an email with my details

re above post:

Log onto www.scottishpower.co.uk

- Select My Account Tab (should be selected by both existing and new online customers)

- If new online customer (e.g. not already Online Energy) customer will be required to select “Register to manage your account online”

- Customer is then required to enter account number & postcode (there is also an option to select paperless billing)

- Customer should complete registration process, confirming email address and password

- Customers should then return to My Account tab This doesn't happen, you get the tarriff options and you can not navigate away from them until you chose one

- Input email address and then password

- Customer is then navigated to My Online Energy Account and should select “My Online Energy Tracker”

- Online Web Portal will be displayed

Just to say thanks to Colin for getting my account sorted

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I read on the front page of the Daily Express (31 March 2011) that energy companies would add a further £434 to our bills in order to pay for their smart meters! Can Colin at Scottish Power advise if this is what they are going to charge us and if not, who is funding the cost of the implementtation of smart metering? According to the Department of Energy and Climate Change smart meters will save homes £23 a year from 2020 and around £42 by 2030. This does not seem much of a cost saving to me if the utility companies are going to charge us up to £434 to recoup the costs of smart meter implementation.