Used Car Nearly Killed Me! Any Advice Please..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3869 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

Im looking for some advice about a very serious issue Ive had with a used car. Here's the background..

3 weeks ago I purchased a 06 plate Mondeo from a car dealership (i think its a family business). The advertisement I initially saw for the garage stated "A1 condition, drives superb. All our cars are sold HPI clear, prepared to a high standard and are faultless". I went and saw the vehicle and purchased it. Up until last week I had only ever driven the vehicle with me in it. Last week I took my family (4 in total) for a drive and as I approached a junction the brakes failed to stop me effectively and the nose of the vehicle ended up in the junction. Luckily the oncoming driver was aware and took evasive action.

I took the vehicle to a garage the following day to have it inspected and I was told ALL brake discs and pads, all the way around the vehicle, were substantially worn to the point they suggested it would have failed and MOT and should not have been driven on until its repaired.

Considering I purchased the vehicle in the midlands and live in Devon and also noting what the mechanics said about safety, I had the work done there and then and kept all paperwork showing the inspection result. It cost £363.

I am absolutely horrified this has happened as it could have been a serious accident. To add insult, as my car crossed into the junction, even by a few feet, I activated a red light camera and now have recieved a penalty ticket from the police!

Can anybody please tell me where I stand on claiming my money back from the dealership? Maybe under the Sale of Goods Act?

Thank you for any help

Even though you clearly have had a traumatic time, under the Sale of Goods Act you have weakened your case by getting the work done yourself - the Act requires you to allow the seller first option to repair the item and is a good reason why with a complex item like a car that you can't for instance put in the post if it goes wrong, then local purchasing is something to think about.

If you have only had the car 3 weeks, did it come with a new MOT? If so, and if the repairing garage have given yiou the old parts, then yoiu have 28 days from the date of the MOT in which to approach VOSA if you think the car should not have passed an MOT, so you would need to move quickly.

In practical terms, contact the seller and raise your concerns - hopefully they will be reasonable and offer a good contribution to the repair cost, but be aware they will probably not contribute the full cost