idon'towemoney

Self employment non payment

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3593 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I have a friend who is a self employed tiler, he completed some work a few months ago and is still waiting for his money from the sub-contractor. The excuse he is getting is that "I have not been paid for the job, therefore i cannot pay you", now i thought this was against the law as he was employed by the sub-contractor, NOT the main contractor or client.

Please help

Hello there. Does your friend have anything in writing from the sub-contractor in terms of an agreement to do the work, or any other paperwork that would help him argue this?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Sorry my information was slightly off, the job was nearly a year ago. It was a total of £18,000 and £8,000 was paid in stage payments by cheque with the balance to be paid at the end of the job, which is only a verbal agreement. What the sub-contractor is saying is that he cannot pay until his 5% retention is paid. Even if he was withholding 5% retention from my friend (£900) the other £9,100 surely should of been paid by now. My friend just wants to know where he stands legally for the outstanding balance.