Jump to content

10 years of strife over council tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

hi there just joined yesterday and looking for some advice, as i am having and have for the past 10 years problems with NLC (north lanarkshire council) they have been making me pay back council tax arrears for 1991-till the year 2000 ,fo the hole period of those years i was on income support,but they say i never returned any rebate forms,


it was only picked up in year 2000 when i moved house and called in to change details so since then i have been hounded i started work in 2002 and since then have had a wage arrestment,they arrested my bank account a few times to and all in all a recon a have paid not far from 10k by the time ballif charges ect have been added, i seeked advice from the CAB office, got proof from the Social Sequrity that i was in recipt of income support for the whole 9 years in question.


it ended up in appeals service and only 52 weeks was removed this was in 2005,my father tool ill and past away,so i let them continue to take the money on december last year i was told a only owed £501 that was it clear and low and behold they landed at my door charles anderson demanding yet anuther year,


i have went to see a lawyer no as they are taking the p now ,they still have a wage arrestment and its about £50-£60 per fortnight depending on what overtime i have done on thursday i went to the bank and they have arrested my bank acc there was only £236.28 in it


so what do you reckon my chances are in court i have left all my paper work with the lawyer and have to go back and see her today as i say its around £10000 they have got from me in the past 10 years and do have the proof i was on income support do you think i will get any of it back?

Link to post
Share on other sites

hiya Karen,


As hallowitch has advised I would certainly send an sar to the council and benefits team.


Has it been the same sheriff officers prior to charles anderson?


They should not be taking any other enforcement action on top of the current wages arrestment. They cannot make you pay any more than already been taken.


Did they advise you why only 52 weeks were removed?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.


Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you already have a wages arrestment and then they hit you with another years then you can either agree to pay them xx amount manually on top of your wages arrestment or allow them to add that to the current one. The wages arrestment is court determined so they cannot add an amount to the arrestment it just means once you finish paying the current one then the wages arrestment will then contimue to pay for the next ...so forth.


So no matter how may years you are due you only pay the 1 amount unless you agree otherwise



Also for info if they apply for a bank arrestment they can only take funds if your balance is more then £370 in credit.

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.


Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Link to post
Share on other sites

hi and thanks for the swift replys,when charles anderson and co landed at my door i wasent at at home so the just posted the yellow letter ,then you have 14 days to contact them if not they come back with a pink one,i emailed them on the day they came and this is what they said.

Dear Madam,

We refer to your recent email, the contents of which have been updated on your account.

The Earnings Arrestment which is currently operating with a present balance of £436.82 relates to Council Tax year 1993/94 in relation to property address 41 ************, Coatbridge.

The Charge for Payment served for a sum of £539.10 relates to Council Tax year 1994/95 and was served as there is no current repayment arrangement in place.

The Charge for Payment has been served correctly and, accordingly, the fee of £49.95 will not be waived.

You also refer in your email to an expense of £53.97. This is a penalty imposed by North Lanarkshire Council before your account is passed to us for collection. Any queries re this penalty should be taken up with North Lanarkshire Council direct.


Charles Anderson


im taking it that they are going to say the bank arrestment of £236.38 is for this uther year that they have came up with,i went to see the lawyer today and she is going to speak to there solicitor to see what they say and also try and get a recall on the bank arresment,i did hand in the council tax rebate forms and housing benifit forms and there is no problem for those years with rent as they say housing benifit was awarded for those years but not the council tax,so its my word against these regarding the council tax form,just wondering what my chances are at winning it as the only proof i can give them is from the social sequrity to say i was on income support for the years in question:?:

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...