christoja

Can you Help ! " gettign my money back from the Carpet company LTD"

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3601 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi.

I really hope you can help

I run a dance school with my wife. We have about 350 children attending each week. It’s very new and we opened our own studio in Feb this year. We had a quote from "The carpet company LTD" for a dance floor. For £2500 pounds. Which is a good price? We asked if it would be suitable for what we are using etc. Which we were reassured it would be with a 10 year guarantee.

The Floor was fitted. It’s a commercial grade laminate about 10 ml thick. I first noticed that it moved when we danced on it, and about 4 weeks later some joints (were the floor moved the most) split. We contacted him and he said that he would relay the floor. However he said that the room needed to be warm (it was very cold Jan/feb this year) we had bought space heaters before we opened and as we teach children from 3 years the room was warm enough.

Anyhow, He visited the building and arranged to relay the floor. However never didn’t I continued to ring asking for a solution and they started to blame us not having suitable heating in, saying that the floor had to be at 18 degrees the insulation wasn’t suitable, it should have had under floor heating in, ( could have told us that one before we had it fitter ). Otherwise it would fail. I pushed back not knowing whether he was right or wrong, that we had bought space heaters and they are suitable, we then bought infra red heaters 4 weeks later etc. all to counter this issue with the heating in the room, The floor continued to break down and now about 60% of the joints have gone.

He still refused to replace the floor. And Eventually I asked the Furniture ombudsman to visit the site (295 pounds) to assess the floor and see what was wrong; I have got all copies of letters and recorded deliveries. The receipt of purchase etc of contact with the floor company.

The independent offices report said in summery that the heating in the room has nothing to do with the floor failing.

It is due to the floor not being suitable, the joints (even if layed flat) would not be able to sustain the constant impact from dancers jumping. And thus would fail or break. The floor he fitted came under commercial office not sports dance field.

I've sent this to the floor company, by this time I have had to buy a new floor (which is being delivered in a few weeks) and he still is saying that it’s the temperature is why.

I have emails saying that he will refund the money if the officer will say that the temperature has nothing to do with it. Even though he already has has. And every time he emails me it’s another attempt to drag this on

It’s been 8 months now and I’m stuck.

I've sent my final letter demanding my money back, which he hasn’t replied to.

I need support on 2 things

1) Whats the next step. Is it court? If so what are my chances of getting my 2.5K back also the other costs trying to get my money back. Is there another way I don’t know about?

2) I really want to TELL everyone about this company, If I start a bad publicity campaign, E.g. all my 350 students get letters regarding his company, Posting a video of the company and floor on utube etc ( going viral) in a local manner on face book, etc will this force him to give us our money back and would it be legal , could I get our dance school into trouble.

My kids have struggled on this floor for months and its not fair they should suffer or myself because of this company.

As you can see, we've really tried to resolve the matter , but 6 months of getting no were is very frustrating.

Can you help

Chris, can you pm me the address and the company number of the Carpet company please.

Hey

The carpet compant LTD company No. 03147973

22a Church st

Ormskirk, Lancashire L39 3AN

01695 578 555

Can you help? As you can see im not very good at dealing with things like this

Thanks

Write to the Registered Office and include copies of the Ombudsmans report, (don't send the originals), and send by recorded delivery.

THE CARPET COMPANY LIMITED

UNIT 10 ANGORA BUSINESS PARK,

PEARTREE ROAD

STANWAY

COLCHESTER

UNITED KINGDOM

CO3 0AB

Say you would prefer this matter settled in house and not have to take further advice.

I dont understand

Would sending it to the accountant ( or were the comapny is registored ) make any diffrence.

Is it not the guy who owns the company who makes the choice.

Also would i get my dance school into trouble if i start to tell others about his company

thanks mate

If you can't get satisfaction from the monkey, take it to the organ grinder. As you have been refused by your local shop it's time to take it to the top.

No you won't get yourself or the club into trouble as long as you only quote your personal experience and don't make slanderous or libellous comments against a person and stick to the truth.

You might get some assistance if you write to your local newspaper, they like to be seen to do some good especially where children are concerned. As this is a national company, they wouldn't want to risk it getting into the national papers.

You relied on this person to make a professional judgement on the quality of both materials and workmanship and he should have used that professionalism to make sure you were completely satisfied, and the correct materials were used for the circumstances. If he has laid the wrong product for the use it is subjected to, which he will have known about, then it is up to him to put it right.

Before the new floor is laid, get yourself lots and lots of photographs from different angles both close in and panoramic. Should this go to court, you will have not just the letters from the Ombudsman but he will be able to see for himself what has happened.

It's not a refund you want, but reimbursement of the cost of putting it right so you should be claiming back what this new company is charging you.

Edited by Conniff

I believe this is a franchise operation, so whilst sending the details to the Registered Office of the franchise owner may be useful for informational purposes, they would be under no legal requirement to intercede in the matter. Indeed, the franchise holder may simply be a sole trader using the franchise, so any legal action, to be competent, would be served on him at his place of business. (Assuming the's simply misrepresenting the status of his 'company').

As you explained the story, I had a feeling it had nothing to do with the the heating, but the underlying foundation floor. Whilst it could probably take a pounding, laminate (even of 10mm) may not - although would be adeqaute if the base foundation was satisfactory, so it may be a case of he was 50% in error for using this product, as if the floor base was fine the problems you experienced would not have occurred. You state the price, but not the area. How many SqM were laid?

If this is indeed a franchise as you suggest Buzby, then yes, disregard the claim on the Head Office but copy all you have to them as this could affect all the other franchises nationwide and he wouldn't want that to happen so might just put the spoke in for your local shop.

As you explained the story, I had a feeling it had nothing to do with the the heating, but the underlying foundation floor.

Which is where his expertise should have come in and his recommendation of what to use been different to what was actually done.

Edited by Conniff

Thanks guys

This is great info.

The floors ontop of concreet not very level , he use think underlay . this is prob why the floor seemed to flex alot. Also were it moved the most was were it first started to break down.

The floors 18m by 7 m , so 126 squre meters.

How do you know its a franchise. I though it was a just him.

I'll send a letter to the address. with copys of the repot etc. see if that helps.

What should i do next. Should i start the process for court. I've tried to talk to a solicitor and no ones interested as the case is worth less than 5K.

Should i go in and have it out with him again, or should i email him with the UTUBE video and bad publisity etc.

im not very good at confrontation . He wont even reply to emails. He just drags it out.

Wow, that's a pretty big area. What was under the boards? If a concrete floor in good condition (level, no protrusions of raised seams) then there should be an underlay of some description, either high density matting, or a foam equivalent, to help brace the joints agains someone coming down hard, and so disapate the energy in this 'sandwich' layer.

The reason I believe it it a franchise, is that I recall seeing that (or a very similar name) at a franchise show. People who buy into this are usually on their own, as it gives them the 'feel' of a bigger company/brand.

Edited by buzby

I'd be cautious with the rubbishing him thing - if you lost a court claim then he could nail you to the wall. I don't see that it will have any real effect either, save for getting his back up - this would mean that an out of court settlement is less likely.

Agreed. Your issue is that either the product he installed was not up to the job, or if it was, had been installed contrary to the manufacturers instructions for the type of use envisaged. For these, the responsibility to rectify is his.