michty6

Europcar - Admin fee charged behind my back

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3602 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I rented a van with Europcar during August. First of all I have rented from many different car companies before and Europcar were by far the worst to deal with from beginning to end - this is a mistake I will not make again.

Anyway whilst checking my credit card the other day (over one month since the booking was completed) I noticed I had a £31.73 charge from Europcar. I phoned the credit card company, as I had no idea what or who this was (it appears as EC on your credit card) and they told me it would probably be best to enquire with Europcar directly. So I did and received the most hilarious explanation for a charge I have ever heard.

So it turns out that I was given some sort of motoring offence ticket from Islington Council but then they later realised it was a mistake and rescinded it. Because Europcar had to "deal" with this they felt they were entitled to charge an admin fee of £31.73. The best part is that they could be completely making this nonsense up (it sounds too outrageous to be true) and there is nothing I can do about it. On top of all this I have received absolutely nothing from Islington Council about a charge (or cancellation of a charge) and absolutely nothing from Europcar about the admin charge. The only reason I know about it was because I was checking transactions on my credit card.

I obviously wasnt particularly happy with Europcar but they were adamant the charge remains and told me I should make a claim with Islington Council since it was their mistake that caused the charge.

I have taken the step of cancelling my credit card (so Europcar cannot process any more ridiculous, nonsensical "admin fees") and I am in the process of writing them a strongly worded complaint. I am interested if anyone else had an experience like this?

In summary: never, ever whatever you do book a car or van rental through Europcar.

Hi Mich

What you could do is get information from Europcar and Islington Council, all the information they hold on you and your car.

Send them a SAR Request with £10, send it recorded.

They will send you all the details they have on you and your car within 40 days.

You can see if a charge was every made by Islington Council. If no charge has been made, you should get your admin money back, SAR Request fee's and compensation from Europcar. If they get away with it, it will only encourage them to do it to other people. There should be a paper trail if the charge ever existed.

This is what a SAR Request looks like, just amend it, make sure it mentions all motoring offence tickets and Admin fees :-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?417-A-Subject-Access-Request-for

One of the lawful reasons for declining to fulfil a SAR is that details are held for the purposes of law enforcement. You may therefore find that Islington avail themselves of this and supply you with nothing. Europcar were the party that levied the charge so go after them to stand up their claim. You will undoubtedly have agreed to their levying such charges (and there may well be other conditions attached to these types of charges) when you signed the hire agreement.

Why would Islington Council hold any personal details for the OP?

The vehicle subject (or otherwise) to this 'ticket' is registered to the hiring company