On line re tax?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4949 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but a quick question

I taxed my car today on line late afternoon, all went through ok, got cornfirmation on Direct gov sight and an email.

Question, I obviously have to wait for the tax disc to appear ( and this is usually quite quick) but will the fact that I have applied on line show on a ANPR and technically I am not "displaying" a valid tax disc?

A similar question was asked in another thread:

Yes

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/Evl...ons#QUESTION_9

I have not received the tax disc. Can I use the vehicle without the tax disc displayed?

When you apply for a tax disc online or by using our phone service you are able to legally continue to drive your vehicle for up to 5 days after the tax disc has expired while you wait for the new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply when you have applied for a new tax disc before the current one expires. You should continue to display the expired disc on your vehicle, until the new one arrives.

Personally, I think I would print out the confirmation reference number that you will have been given when you paid on-line and keep it in the car tomorrow, just on the off chance the police happen to stop you.

Bear in mind the part I have made bold - if your tax had already expired before you purchased your new disc, this will not apply.

From the ask the police website

If you choose to drive your vehicle on a road without displaying a valid tax disc then you commit an offence and risk getting fined.

However there is an exemption for the first 5 working days of the month from displaying a valid tax disc. The exemption will only apply in the month when the tax disc commences and where an application for a new tax disc has been made before the old one expires. Drivers should continue to display the previous tax disc until the new one arrives. After 5 days the offence will be committed if the new tax disc is not displayed

Purchasing a tax disc on line can take up to 5 days so make sure you do it in plenty of time.

MBNA - Agreed to refund £970 in full without conditions. Cheque received Sat 5th Aug.:D

Lloyds - Settled for an undisclosed sum.:D

Ok Thanks

Tax expired 30 Sept and renewed 01 Oct on line as Post Office shut by the time I finished work, so I obviously couldnt actually get a disc today. My interpretation is that I have taxed my car on the day and I am trusting that the disc will appear within the quoted time, but my original question was will an ANPR have the information that a tax has been paid via the system?

Ah, well in this case I don't think the exemption will apply to you.

Your old tax disc expired at midnight. The info in the above posts state that the 5 day exemption will only apply when the disc is applied before the old one runs out.

As for the ANPR issue - I am not sure on that. I would imagine that they will have the information about who has paid for the disc - so you should be safe from ANPR cameras. What you want to look out for are humans! They will see the expired disc and it will be up to you to try and talk your self out of trouble...

Hopefully someone will come along who knows about the ANPR issue.

I doubt ANPR is that acurate to either know instantly that a tax disk has expired and/or a new one not purchased.

As for the expiring at midnight problem, I think I would still go for keeping the old one in the car and a copy of the confirmation that teh new one has been paid for.

Which is what I shall do, I take the point about midnight, but by the same token, I could have driven to the PO at say 0900 on 1st and physically obtianed a disc, but then technically for the period until putting up new disc I was "untaxed" As you say, Human intervention ie stroppy copper lol