Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Can anybody advise me please?   Been living in rented accommodation for over 11 years, old landlord who leased property with his shop has now left and so agents have become my new landlords, so gave me a new contract.   I'm really nervous as not sure what my rights are and could I get evicted as new contract says short term, 6 months.
    • It's the only way to proceed, he has to prove irrevocably that he gave me that information, and agreed to it, which he cannot do because it doesn't exist. Not only that, he sent me a trade sales invoice, other than that you're pretty spot on.
    • Sorry - need to put my glasses on!   I think you and the other posters have been at cross-purposes because they haven't followed what you are trying to argue.  You aren't arguing a fault etc with the car, you simply want to cancel it as a distance sale, and because the vendor did not provide the necessary cancellation information pre-contract in a durable medium, you are saying that you therefore have 12 months plus 14 days to cancel AND that the vendor has to pay the collection/recovery costs.   Although I understand that argument, I don't know if that's the best way to proceed or not.   I suspect not many people have tried to argue it with second-hand cars.  And that might be, for some reason I don't know, that it's a non-starter or it's too risky.
    • No, not all all.  It's up to them to prove you were the driver.  Well done in not telling them!   Remember in all this you are legally in the right.  Their parking fee was paid.  You're not trying to "get out" of something you owe.  They are in the wrong as far as the law goes.   So how about sending them something like -   Dear BW Legal,   cheers for your Letter Before Claim.   I don't earn owe your clients a bean, indeed your clients owe the driver of the vehicle who paid the parking fee - twice.  It is your clients' responsibility if the machines they buy second hand on eBay don't work properly because they're too tight to pay a technician to maintain them.   Your clients also gave me to no right of appeal or of paying a discount in contravention of their own industry's Code of Conduct.   You can either drop this foolishness now or your clients can get a good hiding in court, both are fine by me.  I fancy a winter holiday and I fancy financing it by an unreasonable costs order under CPR27.14(2)(g).   COPIED TO NCP   The reason i say to send to NCP too is because unscrupulous solicitors are well into their clients starting claims which are bound to lose, after all they get the £££ in any case.
    • appeal one has ref number showing other pix to screen removed please use PDF only     dx
  • Our picks

    • @curryspcworld @TeamKnowhowUK - Samsung 75 8K TV - completely broken by Currys. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426151-samsung-75-8k-tv-completely-broken-by-currys/&do=findComment&comment=5069075
      • 4 replies
    • @skinnyfoodco Skinny Foods. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426130-skinny-foods/&do=findComment&comment=5068996
      • 8 replies
    • I’m in desperate need of help
      I bought some clothes online in may through Evans and paid through PayPal
      returned them all seven days later
      I waited the 14days for my refund and no refund came
      I put in a dispute through PayPal but I didn’t get any emails to escalate the case - PayPal closed it. 
      evans said they couldn’t refund the money because PayPal have cancelled the refund because of the open dispute
      I contacted PayPal
      they said the dispute had been closed but Evans at no point had attempted a refund.
      fast forward to today
      I’ve got copies of numerous messages sent to and from twitter messages as it’s the only way I can contact them
      I’ve also contacted their customer service too
      all I get is PayPal have cancelled refund because dispute is still open.
      I have proved that the dispute is closed
      I have got an email saying that if Evans sent the refund they would accept it
      but up until the date I got the email they have not once attempted a refund .
       I have sent them a letter before court email
      I have even offered to have the full refund as a gift card just to get this sorted !
      I’m literally at the end of my tether and don’t know where to turn next !
      i suffer with mental health issues and this is affecting my health and I’d saved the money for a year to buy these clothes as I’m on a low income .
    • In desperate need of help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/425244-in-desperate-need-of-help/&do=findComment&comment=5067040
      • 29 replies

Mystery Housing benefit overcharge repayment from benifits - query please help

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3646 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Last year my adult son came back home to live with me,

as he works he rightly so pays rent and council tax,

which meant that my benefits for both those were reduced,

i paid the amount requested and all went ok for 3 months,


then i got a letter stating i wasnt paying enough and explaining why,

i could see that they were right and arranged with them to pay off the arrears by increasing my monthly amount for the rent etc,

therefore paying rent etc due and reducing the arrears.


Then last month i went into my local office and asked them for a statement which showed all my rent payments,

and when it was printed off it showed that housing benefit were taking an amount from every payment i made,


after clearly stating to me that they wouldnt be,

as the overpayment was merely added as rent owed on my rent account,

i rang housing benefit and was assured i owed nothing,

and they werent taking any money,


i re-checked with the local office who said this was rubbish and they were,

the local office spoke to benefits and it seems nobody knows why this money was being taken and who authorised it or why, and bizarrely where its gone to.


They were meant to ring me back after sorting it out, after a week with no news i went back in the office, was told that they were

"looking for a way for it not to happen again, and i should get back any money taken wrongly, they would write and explain"

its now a week since then and still no reply or explanation.


Any ideas? i am puzzled.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ya, Ruby,


Although you do not say which department sent you the letter initially, my first suggestion would be to write a recorded delivery letter to all departments concerned.


Explain the situation as it has happened and supply each of them with full information as you have it, i.e. dates and names of whom you spoke with in telephone conversations as well as in person (if you have it) and what was said.


Ask them each to supply you with a full breakdown of the account including all payments made as well as full details of amounts being taken from the account and by whom. At the very least, you can demand the account be adjusted with the money put towards your arrears once you have received this information.


Even if they get in touch with you beforehand to your satisfaction, I would urge you to get a statement from them detailing exactly what money have been taken off the account and where it has gone as this will be your evidence in the event of something going wrong in the future.


Good luck, I hope my advice is helpful and please let me know the results.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi understanding and thanks for your reply, originally it was the housing benefit office that wrote and informed me i had been overpaid, they state in that letter that the overpayment had been added to my rent account, i also had a letter from my housing officer telling me i had rent arrears for that same amount, as i was on reduced benefit while waiting for a tribunal hearing ( had my incapacity benefit stopped as atos thought me fit to work, despite proof to the contrary) i asked to pay the arrears off at the lowest possible rate, i had a letter from housing officer stating i could pay at £3.25 per week until it was cleared, all ok and been reducing ever since. It was just that last month i wanted to check the amount left and asked for a statement of my payments to date, and when this was printed out it showed money being transferred from my rent account to housing benefit, who say they arent taking any, i dont owe any etc etc, nobody seems to know who set it up or why or where its been going. Its now just over a week since my housing officer was going to be sorting it out and writing to me with explanation etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, Ruby,


So Housing Benefit wrote to you stating they had made an overpayment to your rent account and was seeking recovery for this amount?


Did they recover the amount of overpayment directly from the Rent Account in one lump sum?


If they recovered the money directly from the Rent Account, was it this action of theirs that led your Rent Account to be in arrears?


Are they now taking money from the Rent Account after they have reclaimed their overpayment?


If the answers to the above is ‘yes’ and Housing Benefit has already reclaimed the overpayment from your Rent Account and are now taking extra money from that account, then I would suggest you write a Recorded Delivery letter, keeping a copy, asking them to stop taking the money and start an investigation.


I would suggest giving them fourteen days as a maximum to respond to this letter in the first instance although it may take much longer for them to supply you with details while they do their investigation, they should stop taking any money from the account during this.


As with my initial suggestion, supply them with any details you have of the names of people of whatever departments you spoke with regarding this matter.


Ask them to supply you with a breakdown of full details of payments as well as deductions from both the Housing Benefit Account and the Rent Account for the period in question.


Once you have received the breakdown details of who is paying what and who is taking money from where, then you will be in a better position to dispute, if necessary, any missing money and ask for it to be refunded or to be put against the rent arrears.




Maybe someone more legally minded than me will be along to help further.


Best of luck :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • dx100uk changed the title to Mystery Housing benefit overcharge repayment from benifits - query please help
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...