Week after agreeing balance reduction plan Barclays say closing son's account!

dee1954

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4133 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son got into financial difficulties recently as his job was commission only based and sales dropped off - he was spending more on petrol than he was actually earning. He went back to his old job 2 weeks ago and received 1st wage today. Last week he contacted Barclays and agreed a balance reduction plan (he's had confirmation of this by letter) as his overdraft was £250 (agreed £100) but with charges due to go on will be £410dr. He went to ATM today, it swallowed his card telling him to contact bank. He went into local branch and was told he'd been sent a letter (not received) telling him account was to be closed 11th Oct. They would only let him draw out the credit amount (he owes more than that to me for petrol etc to get to work for the past 2 weeks!)

After spending over hour on phone this evening he's asked for a review of the decision to close the account. Of the 5 people we talked to not one could tell us why the account was to be closed - the last person said Barclays don't publish what criteria they use when reviewing accounts as customers would be more likely to have positive results!!

If he'd not contacted them last week and agreed the plan I would still think that closing an account which was £150 over his OD limit slightly excessive!! She also insisted that the reason for closure was nothing to do with his credit scoring!

Just as he felt he was sorting his finances out they pull the rug from under him - he visited Nat West this afternoon to open an account with them but was turned down.

Hi Dee'54,

You could spend hours on the phone about this and get nowhere. :mad2:

Even in the branch, it's likely you'll be told the decision has come from Head Office and the branch has no discretion to alter the closure.

Still, I would try speaking to the manager and see if they are able to continue with the a/c with a schedule to reduce the o/d over a few months. Don't be talked into a Resolve Loan unless it really suits you.

Have a look here about a Halifax a/c as an alternative - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?278478-Barclays-putting-me-in-a-poverty-trap&p=3141833&viewfull=1#post3141833

Let us know how you get on. 8)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)